Talk

Advanced search

laptop cursor/pointer leaping all over the screen

(4 Posts)
sincitylover Mon 14-Sep-09 14:14:49

for some of the time -any idea what causing this /how to remedy?

AMumInScotland Mon 14-Sep-09 14:34:16

Is this when you move the mouse? Most commonly, it's because your mouse is full of gunk and you need to give it a good cleanout!

RustyBear Mon 14-Sep-09 15:11:09

This is a common problem & it could be due either to the mouse or the touchpad.
First, as AMIS says, the mouse could need a clean, especially if it's a ball mouse.
If it's an optical one with a light underneath, it could be that it doesn't like the surface it's on - a strong pattern can throw a lot of mice - they seem to have a particular dislike for woodgrain with a strong contrast.

Or it coild be the touchpad - some keyboards are very 'bouncy', especially if you're a fast or energetic typist and can affect the toyuchpad. Or possibly your sleeve/edge of your hand is brushing the touchpad. If you don't use the touchpad much, you could turn it off. Some computers are just prone to this - several models of Acers especially the 5315 & 5720 are particularly bad, it can help to turn off the 'tap to click' function: Control Panel-Mouse-Properties-righthand tab & look for buttons/sliders to do with tapping (it's different for various computers so I can't be more specific.) Mine actually has a slider to change the sensitivity to guard against accidental touches - have a look & see what you can find!

sincitylover Mon 14-Sep-09 17:18:56

thanks will check these things out. it'sa touchpad.

One option might be to connect up a traditional mouse.

I'll get one from work tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now