Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So I got a 3G iPhone by mistake when I wanted the 3GS

(23 Posts)
Hulla Sat 12-Sep-09 08:43:27

Is it worth swapping for the 3GS? I am not sure of the difference really - is it just faster?

The temptation to open it anyway and play with it is massive!

Can anyone tell me what the 3GS can do that the 3G can't?

Should I swap it?

EyeballsintheSky Sat 12-Sep-09 09:00:10

The difference is a slightly better camera but not much, video recording and the 3GS is a bit faster. I got the 3GS because I'm an Apple freak and have to have everything but I don't think I would have upgraded if I was a normal human being.

It depends what you would use your phone for. If it's surfing, texting and the odd photo then the 3G is fine. Did you pay the cheaper price? The 3GS is more expensive so make sure they didn't charge you more.

Hulla Sat 12-Sep-09 09:08:23

I did pay the cheaper price eyeballs but I did it in a hurry without really thinking.

That is all I would use it for really. I think I'll call an O2 store and if I can swap in today then I will but if it has to go back then I'll stick with the 3G.

Thanks Eyeballs!

snickersnack Sat 12-Sep-09 09:14:39

There is a software download for 3G users which will give you some of the functions in the 3GS that aren't built in to the 3G. I think the battery is a bit better and I don't think the 3G had the internal compass thingy, which I do find very helpful.

The O2 store should be able to help explain the differences, though they are probably quite keen to get rid of their 3G stock at the moment so may not be totally unbiased...

Hulla Sat 12-Sep-09 09:35:26

Lol! So perhaps won't be keen to take one back then!

I'll give them a call rather than go in. I don't want a wasted journey.

I think I am the kind of person who will be niggled that it doesn't have everything (even though I have no need for a compass, I find myself really wanting one now!)

EyeballsintheSky Sat 12-Sep-09 09:40:31

I've never used the compass for anything other than sitting there bored and thinking ooh which way am I facing

I know what you mean about niggles though which is why I upgraded. But if you can't change it you aren't missing out on heaps, the 3G is still a great phone.

Hulla Sat 12-Sep-09 10:12:29

I have to send it back and they'll send a 3G S.
I have to do it. I have no real idea why but I am compelled to or I'll always wonder what could have been.....I might one day need to know which direction I am facing. It could happen.

So I should have my 3G S next week.

Thanks for the info both of you grin

WebDude Sat 12-Sep-09 17:48:19

Something to add to your list of things to do is to look out for reviews of iPhone covers for the 3GS since it apparently has a somewhat delicate screen.

I don't have one, don't say I'll never have one, but it's far from essential for me at present, but the fragile screen was mentioned on a blog or review I read recently, where the author recommended getting a cover, as he had dropped his phone.

Hulla Sun 13-Sep-09 16:03:18

Oh thanks WebDude, I'll have a look for one of those when I pick my iPhone up (aren't you slightly tempted by the iPhone?)

WebDude Tue 15-Sep-09 21:13:31

The iPhone is 'nice' in a dinky sort of way, but apart from some additional apps (such as working as a remote control for a Sophos music system, in place of a 280 quid remote) it's not going to replace proper size browsers for me, and other phones are already to hand for my needs (if I want a new phone, one with 5 or 8 Mpixels would come much higher than an iPhone, right now).

I don't drive, and don't care that much about what's on in the bigger cities, and don't spend time in coffee bars or elsewhere that might need/offer wi-fi internet access on an iPhone, so whether it has a compass or a SatNav application is academic for me.

It's a great idea, but non-essential, in my world, for now, and for what it's worth, I don't have an iPod either.

I'm happy with full size keyboard and mouse and in the next few months, plan to have 9x 20" LCD screens in a 3x3 format on the 'office' wall, fed by different PCs.

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 16:55:10

Oh blimey webdude your love of pc gadgetry reminds me of my dh (is that 9 20 inch screens or a screen thats 9in by 20in?).

Was teasing about the ocmpass. I think if anyone had a real, real need for one they'd not rely on one in an iPhone (I wouldn't anyway!) smile

Still waiting for mine....

navyeyelasH Thu 17-Sep-09 17:12:54

all you iphoners are mad the google htc magic does the same stuff at the fraction of the price. I have been with O2 for about 7 years and I changed to vodafone as I was unwilling to pay £80 for a handset for 24 months and £15 more for my line rental with less minutes than I previously had! Not to mention the fact the phone only has a 12 month warranty - on a 24 month contract!!!

MADNESS!!

navyeyelasH Thu 17-Sep-09 17:15:57

hulla he webdude mean 9 screens; 3 rows of three, my DP does this it's for true geeks! they even have different things on different screens it's insane watching my DP use his computer! I feel like I need more eys whenever I need to do something basic on it, like load spotify etc.

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 17:54:09

Oh my life! How could you follow nine screens? I daren't mention it to DH - he'd absolutely love it...although it would probably be something sport related on every screen.

9 screens! shock

WebDude Thu 17-Sep-09 18:04:44

Hang on navyeyelash... the HTC Magic is just a different one of these phones that has too small a screen to be of real use... and no keyboard so the screen gets smudged as you finger it all the time...

I think there was a piece on the BBC site showing off the HTC Magic - is that the one with the 5 MP camera on it (just to make the iPhone users a little envious!) ?

WebDude Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:49

Hulla - but there would be 9 PCs too

navyeyelasH Thu 17-Sep-09 18:51:27

webdude I think you would get on with my parnet, he has some sort of server thing in our loft?

I don't know much about the spec of the HTC magic, but yup it has an iphone style screen but no smudgying as it's in a case! I needed it for work and my previous contract was up. As I arrange my life and business around Google, I needed to be able to basically put things in my google calander and email from gmail, record clips, and take pics. Iphone (at stupid cost) and HTC are the only phone that allow you to do this as gmail and calander work without wireless and are fast even on 3g. Calander works without any connection so I think it's brilliant!

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 19:15:05

9 PCs? How big is your office??? grin

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 19:21:11

Ah DH has suggested that webdude, you may be a developer? But still, how can you watch 9 screens? I'd probably just have a different "AIBU?" open on each one grin.

I'd never leave the house.

WebDude Thu 17-Sep-09 20:38:13

I'm still debating about whether it will be one of the bedrooms (around 12' x 12') or whether I should convert the dining room.

These days, you can get small, quiet PCs, which can be attached to the back of an LCD screen, otherwise I would need earplugs and could turn the heating off completely!

DH would be right, but these will be connected to monitor e-mail and other things for several different websites.

navyeyelasH Thu 17-Sep-09 20:51:11

I've always wondered what the difference is between developer and programmer? Do you know webdude?

Hulla Thu 17-Sep-09 21:03:03

Lol! Yes, imagine the heat from 9 PCs!

I say convert the dining room - that way you'll be near to the snacks.

Makes me think of that film, sliver (staring one of the Baldwin brothers and Sharon Stone I think).

WebDude Fri 18-Sep-09 02:35:00

Well, 'software developer' just has a bit more geek cred than 'programmer'

I moved up from trainee programmer to senior programmer in one place and was then head hunted to work at another place here in N Wales as a software developer (because the company developed data comms equipment and also employed hardware developers, designing the electrical circuits, determining the chips and other components, and had their own CAD staff to do the drawings for the circuit boards, before the other staff in the manufacturing section built and tested the whole lot).

Unfortunately after 23 months, they gave me the boot (they made another 9 people redundant) at that time at the start of the 90s when interest rates on mortgages were close to 15% and more than half my months income went to the ^%$£ Halifax. So I did work for someone else and then went self-employed over 10 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now