Talk

Advanced search

What is Safari 4 and do I have to update it?

(14 Posts)
Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 09:45:58

I keep getting messages, headed Apple Software Update, saying I need to update Safari 4.

I have no idea what this is and I haven't updated it for weeks, with seemingly no ill effects. I did try it once many months ago and my computer started to mess about and run slowly until I deleted it again.

Does anybody know what it does? Should I just keep ignoring it?

Thanks.

MrsBadger Fri 11-Sep-09 10:17:11

Safari si the native Apple web broswer

I suspect you are using Firefox instead, so continue to ignore

Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 10:38:32

Thanks MrsBadger.

I don't have an Apple machine so I shall definitely ignore.

But what exactly is Firefox please?blush

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 12:37:47

It will probably be because you have an iphone or ipod and Apple have installed their crappy slow software on your machine, even though you don't use it.

Just ignore it.

Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 16:34:50

Thanks Someguy. I don't have an i-anything but I do have a Walkman MP3 player and have downloaded stuff from iplayer onto that so that is probably where I picked it up from.

I shall have a look at my files and see if I have some Safari files on there and delete them if it really is that useless.

Thanks again.

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 17:10:04

It's just an alternative web browser. Best thing would be to remove it from your PC (from control panel - remove programs)

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 17:28:11

Does sound odd, getting nag about Safari on a non-Apple machine. If it had been Quicktime or Flash or something else it would be more easily understood.

It may be worth checking your PC with the Trend Micro Housecall Anti Virus scan (or whatever anti-virus software you are already using) "just in case".

Trend's scan of your machine is Free, but you may have to click 'yes' once or twice to confirm you do want to download the software and install it. Then it scans your machine...

Go for evening meal or watch TV for an hour

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 17:33:23

WebDude: it's bundled with itunes. www.computerworld.com/s/article/9070558/Apple_pushes_Windows_Safari_via_iTunes_updater

Not a virus, just apple being scum as usual.

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 18:05:10

Just started a scan myself and HouseCall says about the need to download some files and "These files are typically 1.5Mb in size so depending on your internet connection this could take some minutes to complete – so please be patient for the best results."

Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 21:08:17

Wow dirty practices in the world of computers! Apple are being a bit naughty aren't they?

I have had trouble uninstalling Safari this afternoon - it took so long that I had to abandon it to go out. I'll try again later but I am not happy, knowing that it has snuck onto my machine by dubious means.

WebDude - Thanks for the link - I shall do it this evening.

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 21:53:21

No, on looking further, they do have Safari v4 for Windows on their site. I have Safari on my iMac but prefer Firefox as I have that on iMac, Windows and linux PCs.

As for being difficult to uninstall, that's a bit different - Symantec (aka Norton) was also pretty difficult for the last few years, even with the original CD.

I suspect someone in your household installed it (based on the number of clients, and my sister, who find odd bits of software and find it was when someone else used their PC - eg when my nephew home for Christmas break from University).

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 21:58:10

Ah, thanks SomeGuy - I had not known it was bundled (I don't use iTunes). Trouble is, many of the 'nagging' pop-ups offering anti-virus are the result of an existing virus/trojan...

I'm pretty sure most software asks about extras - and lets you say "No" - eg Netscape offers AOL Instant Messenger, and something offered me WinAmp (audio player), and Opera wanted to install the Yahoo! toolbar.

Niecie Fri 11-Sep-09 22:20:46

No, it was probably me blush

I can't blame this on the DSs or DH - I would if I could but I can't. DS's play games on disks and DH has his own laptop.

I can't remember how it got here other than it wouldn't have been something I would have installed on purpose - I suspect it cropped up whilst I was using iplayer and I clicked yes instead of no. Safari has been on this machine for months and occasionally tells me there is an update which I ignore and it goes away but I have had repeated reminders this week hence the thread.

Anyway, it is gone now - I managed to get rid of this time.

Thanks again

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 22:49:01

Well done, but watch out if one day iTunes tells you there's an update, as it may put Safari back on your PC if you update iTunes...

Not iPlayer, surely, but iTunes (though I am sure some radio stations keep mentioning their podcasts being on iTunes).

There's some software called 'Hijack This!' which gives a report of what is set to load when a machine boots up, and what's actually running.

Various bits of software (eg RealPlayer) have 'extra' programs such as RealSched.exe which checks for updates. All these things 'call home' to see if there's been an update.

Several ways to avoid them

1) can rename the program (some clients want their machines to be free of MSN Messenger, so I rename it, and their teens cannot run it!)

2) get rid of the entry that starts up the software (a function of Hijack This, but needs to be used with care)

3) depending on firewalls on your machine(s) you can block any attempt to 'call home' - makes it work as if you had no live internet connection (but some programs then complain anyway, that they cannot 'call home').

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now