Talk

Advanced search

How do I find out how much RAM I have?

(19 Posts)
Hulababy Wed 09-Sep-09 21:07:26

I want to find out and want to see if I can add more/upgrade it.

I am struggling with PowerPoint when dealing with several images, and with digital scrapbooking image stuff in general. I think RAM may be the issue.

But how do I find out how much I have and if I need more?

Thanks.

RustyBear Wed 09-Sep-09 21:18:35

Which operating system do you have? Vista needs at least 1Gb to run reasonably without doing much else, imo 2Gb is the real minimum.

To find out how much RAM you have right click Computer(Vista)/My Computer (XP) and choose Properties from the menu, and you should find it listed under Memory (RAM).

Tee2072 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:19:47

Right click on your 'my computer' or 'computer' icon (depending on whether you are using XP or Vista) and select properties. There it will be!

Tee2072 Wed 09-Sep-09 21:20:17

Cross post Rusty!

Hulababy Wed 09-Sep-09 21:32:28

Thanks.

I am running Vista. I have 2Gb apparently. But the computer is really struggling with dealing with lots of images.

Reckon I can add more?

Thank you.

Tee2072 Thu 10-Sep-09 13:40:31

In order to find out if you can add more, you need to check with someone who knows your model of computer. Some computers can be upgraded that way and some can't.

RAM is very cheap, so not too pricey to add it.

If you google your computer's make and model, you might be able to find out if you can add more RAM.

Hulababy Thu 10-Sep-09 13:44:12

Thnks. Going to ask DH's work ICT techs. They got the laptop int he first place and upgraded the software and added lots more hard disk in the first place. Will check on RA< with them.

WebDude Thu 10-Sep-09 15:51:21

While it's often possible to upgrade to larger memory total, the number of RAM modules that can be fitted (ie number of sockets) might be low, so to go from 2 GB to 4 GB means taking out the 2x 1 GB modules and replacing with 2x 2 GB, so you cannot just buy 2 GB but have to buy 4 GB.

Also, not uncommon to need identical pair - so had to put 2x 1 GB modules into the 2 sockets, rather that have it come with only 1x 2 GB, and therefore cannot always switch to 1GB + 2GB

Laptops can be a bit tricky. Depends on the make and model.

While there are other firms doing memory,
Kingston is one of the best and has a 'checking' facility - starts off with the manufacturer, then splits into desktops and laptops and model numbers...

Tells you what max RAM can be (and what you'd need to buy for that model).

Of course, you might find you can sell the (current) RAM modules on Ebay if you find you have to replace them with bigger capacity.

Hulababy Thu 10-Sep-09 17:39:34

Cost not really an issue as such as it will be covered under DH's work, as it is officially a work laptop.

WebDude Thu 10-Sep-09 18:44:40

Does that laptop have 'hatches' for access ?

Some don't and in those cases, could involve some lengthy time to 'undo it all' to get to the memory modules... and then putting clever dinky bits back together again...

Wish them luck, Hulababy, I do!

WebDude Thu 10-Sep-09 18:45:53

(and the Kingston post was hopefully of possible use to someone else, considering a RAM upgrade, where cost could be an issue)

Hulababy Thu 10-Sep-09 20:23:11

No idea re hatches. Will have to send it into DH's work for them to have a look I guess.

Thanks

SomeGuy Thu 10-Sep-09 21:52:39

it's quite possibly the processor being too slow. Just below the memory it should tell you the processor. What processor is it?

Hulababy Fri 11-Sep-09 13:15:02

Processor: Intel Celeron 540 @ 1.86GHz

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 14:05:21

That's quite a slow CPU

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 16:13:10

Not so sure, SomeGuy, that it is 'slow' for a laptop.

There are airflow constraints or the CPU / laptop will overheat, and a wish to extend battery life, so running the CPU reduces the need for big heatsinks, and while a bit slower than a desktop with a 2 GHz, it's perfectly usable.

Sure, new desktops with 3 GHz clocking will be faster, but they're generally noisier and have big fans and big heatsink fins (if not a fan nearby on the video card, over and above any other fans, or water cooling).

WebDude Fri 11-Sep-09 16:24:18

"the CPU reduces"

"the CPU slower reduces"

SomeGuy Fri 11-Sep-09 17:03:54

They are not that bad, but the main issue is that they are single core. With lots of things going on, dual core will help.

The current bottom of the line is the T3000, which is the same microarchitecture but a faster FSB, and more importantly two cores.

As regards heat, this was more of an issue a few years ago when Intel were producing chips that ran a faster clock cycle but were less efficient.

Even the 'extreme' x9100 at 3.06GHz only produces 44W of heat (the OP's CPU does 35W), compared with 70W for the old Mobile Pentium 4.

This laptop will be a LOT slower than a 2GHz desktop - particularly the hard drive, and quite possibly the graphics card too.

To the OP:
If you calculate your 'Windows Experience Score', it will tell you which part of your PC is slowest, and is holding you back. See instructions here: windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/help/f59082f4-6385-4a61-ba7e-2de9625a780a1033.mspx

Hulababy Sat 12-Sep-09 09:46:15

TBF the laptop is a couple of years old now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now