Talk

Advanced search

The light on the box of the cable on my laptop has an intermittenant green light - I am guessing I need a new one......help?

(7 Posts)
Katymac Mon 31-Aug-09 21:36:37

There seem to be 2 different ones here which one do I want?

TIA

Katymac Mon 31-Aug-09 22:10:30

Bump for techy help

WebDude Mon 31-Aug-09 22:20:27

I assume you mean the mains transformer, one end connecting to power socket on back/side of PC, the other end of transformer having cable to a mains socket...

The Dell site shows 2 different adaptors with 1 metre cables, part numbers 450-11067 and 450-11168, plus a different unit with a 2 metre cable, part number 450-11174

Can you see any similar numbers on the transformer you already have ?

I'd be tempted to suggest seeing if you have an alternative cable for the mains socket that will plug into the transformer.

It's not impossible for the pins in the transformer to get slightly grubby and not make contact, causing no mains power to reach transformer, and light to go out.

Katymac Mon 31-Aug-09 22:27:09

Aha - so the difference is a 1m vs 2m cable.....I thought it was a complicated techy thing blush

It's a funny bendy cable end - but I can see the pins on the box (transformer0

Is it worth poking them with a cotton bud to clean them or is it more likely that the cable itself is damaged?

Katymac Mon 31-Aug-09 22:29:18

Thanks for explaining the difference on the Dell website

WebDude Mon 31-Aug-09 23:42:25

I'd try something like a cotton bud.

I think firms like Dell (which probably have a lot of their goods manufactured elsewhere, eg China) will have different serial numbers just to identify items from a different firm / batch.

If they needed to recall a few million units, best to know it was all the units from company ABCD with part number 450-11067 and not frighten anyone with 450-11168 (note the second is only 101 higher, not a massively different number)

Katymac Tue 01-Sep-09 21:09:29

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now