Talk

Advanced search

Skybox insurance, does everyone have this?

(6 Posts)
cathcat Mon 31-Aug-09 16:19:20

Just had a phone call saying our free insurance for our Skybox has run out and we need to start paying £6 a month for this. Is this for real? Didn't even know such a thing existed, although to be fair DH dealt with all the Sky stuff.
He was quite pushy and I was not in the mood, told him to phone back tomorrow.
Anyone else got this/is it at all necessary?

MaryBS Mon 31-Aug-09 16:22:45

We've never taken it out, you can buy second hand boxes for about £50 on ebay, or there are people who'll repair/replace bits on boxes. I think the general consensus from those "in the know" (eg avforums.com) is not to bother with the insurance.

Incidently our sky box is playing up, the hard disk isn't very good - they've offered us an HD box for £50 to upgrade.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 16:41:59

NO No No don't do this. It's a scam.

There was a thread about this a few months ago.

We had a call like this- guy really persuasive (and not from Sky at all we found out later.)

He said the insurance would pay for a call out fee of £75 and then labour and parts for a sky box that had gone wrong. He was a bit flummoxed when I enquired why on earth I would want to do that when it was cheaper than that to buy a new one?

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 31-Aug-09 16:43:38

Lookhere for previous thread.

cathcat Wed 02-Sep-09 00:07:58

Thanks BBK, I knew it didn't seem right!

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Wed 02-Sep-09 00:08:51

No we dont have it despite the persuasive calls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now