Talk

Advanced search

I have got an Ipod Touch <<jumps about in excitement>>

(23 Posts)
TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 14:27:56

It is a thing of beauty!

Any tips on what I should do with it? I know that sounds dim, but I have never had an ipod. I have bought a voucher.

How long should I charge it for first time do you think? Does it matter?

I have been looking on apple site, but it just keeps telling me to download music and buy apps. I Just want to get it up and running first!

jeminthecellar Sun 30-Aug-09 14:31:35

I am in awe of your technological clout...

And I wouldn't know what to do with one...

Portofino Sun 30-Aug-09 14:37:59

You plug it in, open an iTunes account. Load it up with all your favourite music. Then you go the Apps store and find all the cool free apps like google earth and facebook and eBay and Twitter and so on .... And there are loads of games for the dcs. And you can of course MN on it as I am doing now. grin
it truly is a thing of wonder. Oh and I'm forgetting you have to link it your wi-fi and email.

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 14:46:15

Right - here is where we may have a prob. We had itunes installed/account opened for Dh ipod. The a child (no-one will admit to it) buggered something up and even apple say it is irreperable. So i chose the touch so I coudl download using wifi only.

Am I correct in thinking that is possible?

I am charging if via usb - should it show up on desktop?

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 15:18:18

OH no. Itunes wont install becuase a previous version cannot be removed.

Am gutted. Not sure of next step.

<<note to self, get sense of proportion>>

Portofino Sun 30-Aug-09 15:30:17

Dh says you need to unistall it and then try again.

themoon66 Sun 30-Aug-09 15:43:21

I have found the itunes takes up an awful lot of space, so I've put it all over on to an external hard drive instead. I just have to remember to switch it on before downloading new stuff blush

IdrisTheDragon Sun 30-Aug-09 15:59:48

I have an iPod touch. I love it

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 17:54:10

PC is total write off it seems. cannot delte, cannot fix, cannot do anything!

Have used DHs work laptop (that'll cost me!). Soooooooooo excited grin

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 17:54:46

What do you use yours for Idris - I can see lots of lovely exciting icons!

WebDude Sun 30-Aug-09 19:20:17

TPT - trust the PC boots OK though...

Can give no input wrt Apple kit (I do have a cheap iMac off Ebay, so I can use Safari and terminal facilities, oh, and play music with Audion, but consider all new Apple kit somewhat expensive... nice, but expensive)

Have heard about problems with losing HD and Apple's response is that (despite them having proof of purchase) they expect you to buy items again.

It may have changed now, given the DRM protection is so unpopular and having a disk crash but not being able to reload with the items you've already bought being rather harsh (I just copy MP3s to an external 500 GB drive for backup... over the years I must have filled over 100 GB with music).

heronsfly Sun 30-Aug-09 19:30:14

Check out the free podcasts,some of them are really good,my dd3 got one for her birthday and I love it grin

GypsyMoth Sun 30-Aug-09 19:46:37

huge i touch fans here!!

we have 3 in this house,and more at xmas i expect!!

you can do banking,games....list is endless....want the iphone now!

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 30-Aug-09 19:55:02

Message withdrawn

themoon66 Sun 30-Aug-09 21:03:32

<<nips off to find lemonade tycoon>>

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 30-Aug-09 21:10:06

Message withdrawn

TheProfiteroleThief Sun 30-Aug-09 22:00:11

oo thanks grin

PigeonPie Sun 30-Aug-09 22:07:33

I use mine as a PDA - diary, contacts etc - to check my email, for my shopping list and lots of other lists (using Zenbe Lists), to listen to podcasts and to keep the DSs amused when waiting (Scribble is quite good for pre-schoolers!). And I have five tabs open in Safari, the Met office, MN, the Torygraph, the Radio Times, and the BBC news.

Love it, but use it with a Mac, so can't help you with the PC stuff I'm afraid.

Enjoy it though - it's great!

brokenspacebar Sun 30-Aug-09 22:13:28

They are fab, buy some apps!

I got an iphone, the first mobile I have ever had that isn't a cast off - I luff it!

Can you use one to go onto any internet site if you're at home and you have wifi?

PigeonPie Sun 30-Aug-09 23:24:25

Yep if you allow your Touch to have access to the wifi - that's how I'm replying to you now!

Portofino Mon 31-Aug-09 06:37:35

They work anywhere with a free wifi connection. My local softplay has it! On holiday, we bought a temporary access to the campsite wifi.

OMG, I got to get one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now