Talk

Advanced search

My e-mail keeps forwarding messages saying "Hi" to my contacts. How can I stop it?

(6 Posts)
TheDailyStale Wed 26-Aug-09 20:35:33

I've deleted my address book so it only send these messages to me now.

I have a firewall operational and AVG security.

Help!

vinblanc Wed 26-Aug-09 20:36:25

It does sound like a virus.

TheDailyStale Wed 26-Aug-09 20:42:48

How do I rid myself of it and report it?

WebDude Thu 27-Aug-09 15:47:48

Ridding your PC is perhaps best via something like Trend Micro 'HouseCall' so you just go to the site and follow instructions - needs you to approve a download or two and to run their software to scan your machine...

Also, you might be able to find some 'trial' version of Symantec (aka Norton) anti virus, or one from McAfee (for example, my bank, HSBC, is offering free use for a year on up to 3 PCs).

Before searching, I'd recommend going to a magazine website (eg ZDNet.com or webuser.co.uk) and look for reviews of AV software, so you can get the right website names for companies (else a search on Google etc may find some dodgy site, where they claim to offer an anti-virus but you are just putting something worse on).

It's common for Windows machines to be infected as the majority of users have the standard Microsoft items of software and things like address books are easy targets.

Might be worth using something like Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail (once your PC is clean), and building up your address book on that, or using a free online e-mail service instead, for a few months.

WebDude Thu 27-Aug-09 15:49:22

If you try any of the other AV packages, it is best to uninstall AVG (not uncommon for 2 sets of AV to give you confusing messages).

TheDailyStale Thu 27-Aug-09 18:58:24

Thanks Webdude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now