Talk

Advanced search

AOL software installation,anyone managed it with Vista?

(6 Posts)
Linnet Tue 25-Aug-09 21:50:58

I'm at my wits end, literally. Last year I got a laptop. I bought a wireless router and connected to the internet via internet explorer. I pick up my e-mail this way and have no access to my personal filing cabinet, buddy list etc

I tried repeatedly to download the aol software but it would go so far then when it tried to connect to the internet it would say the computer cannot find a connection, even though I can connect through Internet explorer no problem.

I finally managed to talk AOL into sending me a disk with the software on it as I wasn't able to download it and no matter how many times I phoned them and installed/uninstalled it still wouldn't work. they reluctantly agreed and I've just tried to install the software and it was all working fine until it got to connection and I hit the same problem.

So one half hour phone call to India, once again, and I'm no further forward. the guy on the phone tried umpteen things but none of them worked, the computer cannot connect to the modem, even though it's working fine. He seems to think it's something to do with my firewall, but I can't do anything to the firewall as it won't let me. He gave me a number to call but they only take calls between 8am and 6pm.

So, is there anyone out there who has magically managed to download/install this software and if so please please tell me how you did it?

Linnet Tue 25-Aug-09 22:45:29

bump, anyone?

fruitshootsandheaves Tue 25-Aug-09 22:52:40

have you tried here
We have Aol running on our vista machine but it wont connect first time, we just click cancel and then click connect again and it always connects second time. We are unsure whether this is an AOL problem or a network one.

Linnet Tue 25-Aug-09 23:13:43

It won't let me use quick fixes as they don't work with Vista.

I just don't get it at all and the tech people are just so useless, they keep saying restart your computer it will work but it doesn't.

It is connected through the wireless router fine, but when I try to sign in on the sign in age it says the computer could not get an internet connection.

All I want is to be able to see my buddy list, sad I know, see my personal filing cabinet and delete/set up a screen name for my dd. I can't figure out how to do any of these things without the software being installed. It might just be that I'm dumb and there are ways to do it, but at the same time I'm so cross that I've lost all my software.

Linnet Tue 25-Aug-09 23:20:40

The guy on the phone kept saying to type Broadband into the connection box on the sign on page. but while I'm doing that above the connection box it says connected to internet!

I just don't get it.

sorry I'm rambling now but I'm just so confused and annoyed.

Linnet Tue 25-Aug-09 23:33:44

sorry Fruitshoots I forgot to say thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now