Talk

Advanced search

Best (and cheapest) way to back up photos on a Mac

(11 Posts)
whinegums Tue 25-Aug-09 10:26:32

Hi, I have over 2000 photos on my Mac, and they are not backed up. I don't want to shell out on any expensive kit, so just wondered the best way to do this. Any recommendations? Thanks!

EyeballsintheSky Tue 25-Aug-09 10:48:24

Burn to dvd? I did this for years before I got a decent portable hard drive (£60 from Amazon). Make a couple of copies though, just in case you have small children of damage

whinegums Tue 25-Aug-09 10:55:24

£60 isn't too bad actually, might investigate....

paisleyleaf Tue 25-Aug-09 10:55:38

If you click on your hard drive, then 'pictures' they are all there in folders.
You can drag the folders onto toast, to burn to disk.

EyeballsintheSky Tue 25-Aug-09 10:57:51

Here

whinegums Tue 25-Aug-09 11:08:40

Oooh, red and shiny, I like it! Cheers EyeballsintheSky!

EyeballsintheSky Tue 25-Aug-09 11:20:20

LOL I really like it. I used to have a huge great clunky thing that needed plugging into elec socket and took 6 years to warm up. Hence not trusting it. That one you just plug into USB port and you're away. And it's really small.

<<admires own sales pitch>>

donteatthat Tue 25-Aug-09 11:45:32

Definitely, definitely worth forking out for a separate back up hard drive. i learnt the hard way sad

i like the one you've found Eyeballs, much dinkier and nicer than the one we have (that's what happens when i let DH go shopping on his own!) wink

just check it has enough capacity and mac compatible - and remember to plug it in and back up occasionally (reminds me, must do mine, don't want to loose pic of DS with bucket on his head... grin

EyeballsintheSky Tue 25-Aug-09 11:51:59

Is definitely Mac compatible; PCs don't cross our threshold

Will shuddup now, am not even on commission! Ouch about your pics though I dread that happening.

55 quid for 320GB seems expensive when another 7 pounds will get you 1TB (1000GB). OK, it's not as pretty and requires a separate power supply, but it's only for backups.

paisleyleaf Wed 26-Aug-09 20:50:01

The portable hard drives there look really good.
Of course there's always web space for storing photos too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now