Talk

Advanced search

Laptop Disposal?

(11 Posts)
clayre Sun 23-Aug-09 18:15:31

Our laptop is completely broken beyond repair, any ideas whats the best way to dispose of it, i dont want to just throw it in the bin, i dont think thats very 'green' but have no idea what to do with it.

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Sun 23-Aug-09 18:18:30

your council should provide recycling facilities

MamazontheDailyMailtakingadump Sun 23-Aug-09 18:22:45

put it on freecycle.
there are loads of people who will use the parts to fix up other laptops and then forward them on to people

Before it goes anywhere, make sure that there is no sensitive data on the hard disk. If you have entered passwords or credit card details, make sure that the hard disk is securely wiped.

WebDude Mon 24-Aug-09 09:09:23

Or put it on Ebay with a 75 to 100 pound minimum (or look for other laptops in a similar condition and price accordingly) and ensure you indicate 'for spairs/repairs' and that it is not working. Freecycle is fine, but have seen a few comments about grumbling 'receivers' {remember, it's only the time to come and collect, and maybe a short phone call, that they're putting into collecting something, not cash} and Ebay may find someone doing repairs on a commercial basis so more parts from your laptop may be used, and if they're getting paid, why not you too... goes a little way to the cost of purchase of the laptop {or replacement for it} too.

If you may have had confidential letters or other documents on the hard drive, it may be worth removing that. Some laptops have panels for accessing different things, others don't.

Even if you decided that it's less hassle to put it in the bin, you may still feel it's best to remove the hard drive, as someone, somewhere, might get their hands on it... {clearly more likely in the Ebay/Freecycle choices, but not impossible}.

Laptop hard drives are smaller than desktop PC drives. Desktops mostly use 3.5" and laptops 2.5" (so drive is approx 2.5" wide, perhaps 3.5" long, and 1/4" thick, in case you have to undo the whole laptop case to hunt for it).

And finally... I know some retailers are doing free recycling (eg Currys, when buying white goods) as there are policies in place for manufacturers to cover the recycling of products at the end of their life, but...

I'd be concerned about handing an old laptop to some firm {if it's being offered} on the basis that the bulk of stores looking at PCs for repairs {admittedly in the USA, but pay and conditions are probably similar, leading to a bit of 'job satisfaction' coming from distraction} have staff who search the drives for anything spicy, like the teenagers' home videos of them prancing around naked with boy/girl friends... {hate to drag it down to sewer level, but those types are 'out there' unfortunately!)

clayre Mon 24-Aug-09 11:54:37

thanks for replies, i wouldnt know how to wipe the hard drive, it doesnt even switch on but am aware that a clever computer person could probably get info off it, i will maybe enquire at computer shops and see if they would take it.

WebDude Mon 24-Aug-09 12:54:49

If a shop will take it, you could ask them to remove the hard drive and give it to you there and then (if you have any concern about stored data).

The fact it doesn't boot doesn't mean the HD is dead... maybe a fault in power/CPU/memory sections instead.

clayre Mon 24-Aug-09 13:39:20

Dp left a cup of coffee sitting on it and ds ran passed and nudged it and it got covered in hot coffee, it started hissing and smelling odd then it died altogether

The power supply is probably fried. The disk is likely to be OK and any data on it intact.

WebDude Mon 24-Aug-09 14:25:43

Ah... yes, that sounds pretty terminal. I had to rescue data from the friend-of-a-friend's laptop which had suffered similar (but from a large glass of wine).

His was powered off, at the time, and got very sticky, but he left it off until it had had chance to dry out.

Was intermittent at coming on (battery completely dead), keyboard not working, and replacement of both was quoted at 150 +labour and getting towards half the price of a new laptop. I looked at replacing keyboard (a removable part) but even getting it out was an awkward task needing half the laptop to be dismantled to get to the internal screws holding keyboard onto the base.

Once I had copied thousands of family photos from his old laptop (which was most important to him, plus some material he had been working on {he's a musician, so had part-finished tracks for next album}) he said to 'do with it whatever I wanted'.

Keyboard is still useless, and I have not yet replaced battery, but with USB keyboard and mouse it is usable, so I thanked him for my 'new' laptop (much newer than my old 386, from mid-90s, running MS-DOS very slowly). The VGA output can drive a second screen, so I can work with double the desktop size on that machine... very handy for new websites (one screen for page layout and second for graphics package).

WebDude Mon 24-Aug-09 14:31:48

For CAUP ... (In addition to power section...) CPU might have also been killed off as liquids would probably short circuit some links... and liquid hitting the heatsink might damage it, and subsequently the CPU (depends on temp of coffee - could fracture heatsink if cool coffee onto v hot heatsink, or stop it from dissipating heat)... either way, may allow CPU to fry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now