Talk

Advanced search

Which programme should I use to create a timetable?

(5 Posts)
cupofteaplease Fri 21-Aug-09 10:16:17

Thought I'd already posted this, but it hasn't appeared! So I'll try again...

I need to create timetables and planners that have boxes or cells of varying sizes. I have tried using Word and inserting a table, but the boxes are all the same size.

For example, one day, a session from 9-10am may be one subject, but another day that session may be split into 3 subjects, so I need the box to be divided into 3. I hope that makes sense!

Any ideas of how I can do this?

AMumInScotland Fri 21-Aug-09 10:29:00

If you right click inside a box, you'll get a menu which has an option to "Split cells". Also if you highlight more than one cell and right click there will be an option to "Merge cells" - that might give you enough flexibility.

You could also try using Excel but I don;t think it would be any easier than sticking with Word.

OhBling Fri 21-Aug-09 10:31:56

Use Excel. But what you'll have to do is have each thing as one cell so that those sessions that are just one thing will have to be a "larger" cell that you have merged to make the same size.

I don't know how you split the time but I'd make each row represent say 15 minutes. That way, if something will be done for an hour, you'll use up 4 cells.

RustyBear Fri 21-Aug-09 11:05:23

I'd do it in Excel too, as I find it a lot easier & more flexible to work with.
If you set it up the way OhBling suggested you could end up with something like this, though of course you can pretty it up a lot with shading & colours & stuff.

cupofteaplease Fri 21-Aug-09 11:13:47

Thanks so much for the advice! I have had a go with Excel before and found it tricky to manipulate <stupid emoticon>

Just had a go using Word and AMumInScotland's advice and my timetable is up and running! Good times!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now