Talk

Advanced search

Where do you stand on wireless networks and kids?

(6 Posts)
alittleteapot Thu 20-Aug-09 16:32:39

We've got one, and now dp wants us to get a wireless harddrive. He knows much more about all this stuff than I do and says it's totally fine. From my position of ignorance I'm a bit paranoid about cell-changing cancer-causing radio waves darting about the place. Does anyone out there have a more educated view that supports either viewpoint?

AMumInScotland Thu 20-Aug-09 16:36:29

I've never heard of wireless networks being suspected of causing cancer or anything like that. They are very low-powered compared with things like mobile phone networks.

I would have thought it would be quite slow compared with a wired one, but that's his problem...

alittleteapot Thu 20-Aug-09 16:38:18

thanks. like i said, i come from a position of complete and utter ignorance! i have heard of parents requesting that they are not used in schools, and wonder what that's based on...

lottiebunny Thu 20-Aug-09 16:48:57

If radio waves caused cancer I think it would have been known by know. Its just a shorter wave form than the waves which transmit radio and TV signals. AFAIK, (although DP is the physicist not me) electromagnetic waves need to have a lot shorter wave length to carry enough energy to do any serious damage.

AMumInScotland is right though, it would be slower than a wired harddrive.

alittleteapot Thu 20-Aug-09 16:56:14

ok, feeling stupid now. but why then do some parents persuade schools not to do it?

lottiebunny Thu 20-Aug-09 17:04:45

Because new=frightening if you don't quite understand whats going on I suppose. Not all of us can have physicist DPs to explain it all grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now