Talk

Advanced search

If I don't renew my Hotmail Windows Live subscription will I lose my Hotmail address??

(7 Posts)
squeaver Wed 19-Aug-09 12:03:33

It's just a waste of money and I'm planning to start using a different email address anyway.

Will they delete me completely or will I just I just lose all the twiddly bits that I never use?

TIA

ilove Wed 19-Aug-09 21:46:49

I have never paid for a Windows hotmail address, and always been able to access it.

squeaver Thu 20-Aug-09 10:16:28

Thanks ilove, will just keep going and see what happens.

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Aug-09 14:14:14

If you've had some paid-for account then they will no doubt wipe everything. Being nosey, what have they been charging for?

(I assume there may be options for webspace or something, but have not really explored their service... Same as I've lost track with Yahoo! mail these days... seem to have gone OTT on security and I cannot login now!)

NetworkGuy Thu 20-Aug-09 14:16:22

It might just be "logging in" that is all they need. Many freebie mail systems (I use 3 or 4, and some paid-for ones too) will require people login and check mail around once a month/ quarter just to be able to delete forgotten /spammer /dormant accounts and be able to use the same username for someone else next year....

squeaver Thu 20-Aug-09 17:27:49

Now I'm worried Networkguy.

I think I'm paying for extra storage space (which I seem to be using about 10% of) and honestly God knows what else.

I've had a Hotmail account for about 10 years, they started charging me for all this shit about 3 years ago.

I just thought that if I didn't pay it would just go back to basic hotmail. Better have a look at the terms of use.

squeaver Sun 23-Aug-09 11:49:18

In the end I sent them an email and they cancelled my subscription but I do still have my hotmail address.

Actually they were quite un-Microsoftly helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now