Talk

Advanced search

Is it worth getting Sky? (oh the shame...)

(25 Posts)
DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 16:22:08

Now that ds's are 7 and 5, I'm starting to enjoy not having to watch crapola children's telly any more and am re-discovering my love of sport blush. Have got ds's into snooker, athletics, football and cricket and am gutted I can't watch the Ashes for example at the moment.

So.... I've been considering getting Sky, but it feels so chavtastic weird...

Is it worth getting Sky for the sport - do they show tons more football matches (we're Manchester City supporters for our sins) and how much is it per month? I've had a quick look but the packages seem fiendishly complicated - I think it would be about £35 a month??

Also, silly question, but do you have to have a dish to have Sky? We've got Virgin broadband (but don't have their telly package) - does that come into it at all?

blush

I know nothing - any help much appreciated..!

Tortington Sun 16-Aug-09 16:24:52

the proper manchester team!

i dunno - i think you can get what you need through the puter - but a real sports fan may disagree

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 16:29:10

grin

Through the puter?? What, via Sky or Virgin? I'm looking at the Virgin media site now and it's completely incomprehensible...

My fantasy is to have all this sorted out by next week so I can watch England win the Ashes at the Oval, and then watch City win all their future matches on the telly.

<deluded>

NonGratisAnusDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 16:31:59

Nothing chavvy about Sky. You sound like my father who believes it to be 'common'. hmm Believe the term 'chav' is pretty non-U actually smile

£35 a month sounds about right. Think you can buy 'bundles' depending on what you like - e.g. basic Sky, plus sport or films or whatever. Also think you need to have a dish.

Btw, Man City won't finish in the top 4 this season, whatever you hope smile

BadgersArse Sun 16-Aug-09 16:32:31

why shame?
its only tv

herbietea Sun 16-Aug-09 16:32:58

Message withdrawn

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 16:36:44

I know, it's not chavvy really - I think it's an upbringing thing - like only buying the Radio Times and never the TV Times... hmm

Have found out that I can get a Sky Sports package via Virgin - hurrah! grin Now I just have to persuade dp and I think I'm sorted (will have to trade the subs for something - not wine...)

And City are sooo going to be in the top 8 4..! grin

NonGratisAnusDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 16:47:55

Arrggghhh! My Dad also used to go on about the TV Times being common too!! grin

So tell me, who are you going to knock out of the top 4 then?

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 16:55:47

United of course - they've had their day! grin

Ferguson is soooo smug and although they won today, it was only by 1 goal...

NonGratisAnusDailyMail Sun 16-Aug-09 16:59:29

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! PMSL grin In your dreams luv grin

It's very much like Liverpool saying they were going to win the title last season grin

Make the most of your current position in the table - you won't stay there for long smile

(I actually predict Aresnal will win it this season, Man U 2nd, Liverpool 3rd & Chealsea 4th). That's realism, none of this fantasty stuff

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 17:01:42

Well OK maybe not United but I can see us doing better than Liverpool?

<slopes off, realising she's being v. boring indeed...>

hippipotamiHasLost55lbs Sun 16-Aug-09 17:01:48

Nooooo, don't get sky - it means you have to have a dish on your house and your neighbours will have to look at said dish...

Am all for extra tv, but dishes are my pet hate...

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 17:02:06

crossed posts! grin

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 17:03:42

Yes - it's the dish that's part of the chavyness image problem...

anyway, dp's said we need to save £35 a month, not spend it as extra, so no Sky for me for a while anyway.

Ah well - will just have to find a sports bar next weekend to watch the Ashes. What a shame...

grin

BadgersArse Sun 16-Aug-09 17:26:54

god what CENRURY are you in!! lol at dishes

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 18:27:04

Oy you! (it's true though - I'm decades behind grin)

moondog Sun 16-Aug-09 18:30:30

I would divorce my dh if he ever even breather a word about getting Sky.

Whatever for??? To spend even more of one's life staring at a screen.
Why do yuo have to subsidise stupif greegy footballers?

LissyGlitter Sun 16-Aug-09 18:33:17

My BIL has offered to pay for us to get the basic sky internet, phone and TV package, and give us one of his old TVs. (We don't currently have TV, internet or landline in our house-we go round the corner to PILs to use the internet and watch DVDs or torrents on our laptop) I think it's because he is so appalled at the idea of our DDs growing up without TV!

I think we are going to accept, because we can always keep the TV turned off most of the time, and it would be nice to be able to watch things like Doctor Who in our own house when it is broadcast...

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 18:39:35

Moondog - I know, I know... It's just, I've always liked sport, especially watching the cricket each summer and that all stopped when ds's were babies and toddlers. Now they're getting older I can feel some of my 'old' life coming back (hurrah!) but over the years, more and more sport has disappeared from terrestrial angry.

So it seems the only way to be able to watch test matches (and the occasional City match grin) is via Sky - wouldn't consider it for anything else - not interested in the movies/children's/anything else Sky stuff.

moondog Sun 16-Aug-09 18:50:20

I am a sour old cow I know.
What i don't get is here in Bangladesh, dh can get all the international sport (football, stuff like that, none of which am remotely interested in) for £4 a month without anything beyond, as far as I can see, anything but a tv.

How come in UK, people pay what, about £35 a month for this? It is so bloody immoral.

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 18:56:50

Mooondog I love your posts... <stalker>

blush

moondog Sun 16-Aug-09 18:59:17

Excellent. I will kepp up the misery just for you Dot. grin
(BTW, did you ever come to North Wales for your romantic w/end away? I think you posted last year about it. I recommended a hotel to you but you never answere.)

DottyDot Sun 16-Aug-09 19:06:25

Oh - sorry - that's very rude of me blush

We didn't end up going anywhere unfortunately - no money due to bills and stuff at the time so I was probably trying to mentally block! grin

moondog Sun 16-Aug-09 19:09:21

No worries.
Bummer about hols though.
You should house swap.
It;s fabulous and costs nowt.

TheHeathenOfSuburbia Sun 16-Aug-09 21:41:16

Virgin are good about letting you switch your packages around (ahem), DH gets Sky Sports for 1-2 months while the rugby is on then switches it off again. Whereas I think Sky want you to sign up for longer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now