Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me about the Wii???

(15 Posts)
IlanaK Fri 14-Aug-09 17:44:15

I want to buy one for my dh for his birthday but I am baffled by it all. There seem to be consoles, handsets, boards to stand one......

Any help for the Wii disfunctional?

K999 Fri 14-Aug-09 17:46:04

I got one for dd1 (really for us!) and bought a 'package' - you know, console and a few games. I think it was £179.99.

I was a bit like you so I went in and asked the bloke in Game and he was really helpful. smile

BTW they are brilliant!!

weegiemum Fri 14-Aug-09 17:47:18

I know very little as we don't have one (cos if we did i would never see dh or ds again!)

The Wii Fit (board to stand on bit) is supposed to be good, only dh (a doc who does casualty shifts) has seen one person with a broken ankle and another with a dislocated knee from falling off the platform!

Have fun, but don't hurt yourself!

IlanaK Fri 14-Aug-09 17:47:25

Thanks. Do you have the board thing? I was keen on the idea of that for me to excersice (though I course I would tell dh it was for him!)

herbietea Fri 14-Aug-09 17:48:56

Message withdrawn

DesperateHousewifeToo Fri 14-Aug-09 17:50:02

We got one a few weeks ago. It's fab- not that I get to use it though!

You could just go for a basic console and wii-mote (like a remote control that you use to play games).

Or go for a 'bundle' where they add more games, hardware in.

We got wii sport which is good fun and wii fit which comes with the balance bosrd (not used that as much yet, but dh and ds tell me it is good too)

Whatever you decide on, I'd get an extra wii-mote and maybe nunchuk (wi=hich is an extra lead you plug into the wii-mote to play some games. With a set of two of these, more than one person can play at a time.

Not sure if that is any help. I'm still a novice toogrin

IlanaK Fri 14-Aug-09 17:50:36

I was hoping to order on line as I would have three kids in tow if we went to Game (not even sure where there is one as our nearest shopping area is Oxford St) and there is no way they would keep the secret!

IlanaK Fri 14-Aug-09 17:51:52

Thanks - that was very helpful (still not sure what a nunchuck is though!). Sounds loads to buy though - maybe this will be his christmas present too!

DesperateHousewifeToo Fri 14-Aug-09 17:52:02

ps. I got ours from play.com. Seemed the best deal for what I got.

msrisotto Fri 14-Aug-09 17:54:56

The wii is great. You buy the console and it comes with a remote (or wiimote), a nunchuk (another remote thing) and wii sports which is a few good games. If more than one person wants to play at a time, you'll need more than one remote. Don't bother buying the sports accessory pack as it's just a plastic attachment that looks like a tennis racket/baseball bat etc and totally pointless.

The board thing is the wii fit which comes with it's own games too. It weighs you and does a few balance tests and stuff and tells you your BMI and you can set your goals on it whether they're to lose weight or not and it will track your progress and the games (Yoga, running, balance etc) on it are really fun and tiring!
Easports is a game that you can buy that is really properly tiring and good for a work out!

You don't have to buy extra games as these are enough on their own but you may want to.

herbietea Fri 14-Aug-09 17:58:14

Message withdrawn

retiredgoth2 Fri 14-Aug-09 17:59:14

....a (frighteningly bright and Oxbridge educated) friend was yesterday persuaded by her 13 year old daughter that she should not buy a Nintendo Wii.

...because an updated version, the Puu, was about to be realeased.

msrisotto Fri 14-Aug-09 18:02:17

I almost believed you for a second there!

clumsymum Fri 14-Aug-09 18:11:43

Ilana, I was just like you 18 months ago, but I've got it sussed now.

Here is your basic shopping list

Wii console - which will come with the Wii sports games, and a Wii remote
Wii Play - this will come with an extra remote, and gives you some more games to play.

This will be quite enough as a 'starter pack', and should keep you/dh/dcs occupied for the first couple of weeks.

My dh went and bought a couple of nunchucks fairly quickly. Nunchucks allow the remote to get feedback from both your hands, rather than just one hand. Then extra games were added at xmas/birthdays, or when they were reduced in the sales.

We bought Wii fit quite a while after getting the Wii. Do bear in mind the fact that kids don't get quite so turned on by Wii fit, whereas some adults get obsessed by trying to improve their fitness scores on it.

IlanaK Fri 14-Aug-09 20:26:01

Thank you very much! All is clear now. I will get the console bundle with the wii fit as well as the Wii play. Same price on play.com as the game site. About £250 for the two together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now