Talk

Advanced search

ipod/itunes question...I think I already know the answer <sigh>

(4 Posts)
sassy Mon 03-Aug-09 15:15:47

My laptop belogs to my work (school, I'm a teacher). We are allowed to use it for whatever we want (obv within reasonwink) BUT are specifically asked not to store music on it cos whenever we logon at work it synchronises all files to a central database and music takes up too much space.

New ipod nano. Great. But I think if I load stuff onto it via my laptop and then delete the CD off the laptop as requested, itunes will delete it from my ipod next time I connect it.

Am I right? Can I get around it? Is there a permanent save on ipod I don't know about? <hopeful>

AstronomyDomine Mon 03-Aug-09 17:25:43

Not strictly correct.

If you've downloaded and saved files to your hard-drive, then added them to your iTunes, then synced your iPod, the music will stay on your iPod even if the original files are deleted. BUT you will no longer be able to play it straight from iTunes IYSWIM. Just make sure you don't also delete the files from iTunes.

I had some old CDs that I copied (tut tut) onto my hard-drive, copied across to iTunes then synced to my iPod. I deleted the CD files which means iTunes can no longer locate them to play, but it doesn't affect what's already been synced to my iPod.

God I'm waffling now - hope it makes sense.

stubbyfingers Mon 03-Aug-09 17:28:00

you can change the settings in itunes so that it doesn't automatically sync your ipod when you plug it into the PC.

MitchyInge Mon 03-Aug-09 17:41:39

yes, the answer is not to sync but to 'manually manage' your music

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now