Talk

Advanced search

Poor freeview reception - would a new TV help?

(13 Posts)

I've got a non digital TV in our bedroom and a year ago bought a cheap freeview box for it. Plugged it into the TV and we seemed to get most of the channels. This TV is plugged into the main ariel and also connected to a signal booster system. Not sure how this system works as it was in the house when we moved in but I think it amplifies the main ariel.

Over the last 2 months the number of channels we can get via the set top box has got less. I can't watch the main BBC1, etc through it anymore and have to turn the box off to watch the main channels. Lots of other channels I can hear but not see, others freeze and the sand cracks on and off making it unwatchable, others aren't there. I've tried retuning the digital box and sometimes that helps for a few hours, sometimes it makes no difference.

Are these problems down to a poor signal or down to a cheap box? I just find it odd that its worse than it was 12months ago. I wouldn't have expected either the box or the signal to decrease in 12 months. Any ideas?

smellymel Fri 31-Jul-09 17:01:28

can't help but have the same problem with the tv and box in our upstairs bedroom. will lurk to see any replies.

LIZS Fri 31-Jul-09 17:03:16

We've had problems with BBC1,2, CBBC, News 24 etc(500-600mhz frequency) for last few weeks. Occasionally the signal is strong enough to show pic and sound, if slightly broken up, but more often not. Put it down to atmospheric interference and having switched to a cheaper box (Argos). Our aerial is in the roof but seems ok.

bubblagirl Fri 31-Jul-09 17:15:15

we bought a plug in booster it was around 10 pound but now i can get all channels in living room and bedroom all runs off same lead and our aerial is rubbish can be bit shaky at times but in general fab

I don't think a plug in booster would help as this is what the amplifier is meant to do (but even stronger).

bubblagirl Fri 31-Jul-09 19:03:06

i had an amplifier it done nothing used plug in worked a treat maybe worth a try

Will give it a go then. The amplifier does do something as without it we can't even get ordinary TV. Think we must live in a very bad signal area. But will get a booster.

bubblagirl Sat 01-Aug-09 08:31:25

maybe you can have both running at same time to help boost signal

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:33:14

have you checked your aerial/signal booster? If it's not indoors but outside, maybe it has been knocked off or disconnected (especially with all this rain).

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:36:10

there is a website where you can check what your coverage is (what channels you should get etc.)

Thing is, we are in a very good coverage area but can still only get digital tv via Sky. The layout of the house (narrow but long terrace) and the lack of an outdoor aerial means that we can't receive the signal by just plugging in the freeview box and an indoor booster. Even with our booster, I still can't receive most of the channels (can get the main ones but they break up a lot).

However, if you have an outdoor aerial, and your signal worked in the past, I suspect it might need adjusting. The best way to get a good signal is to get an aerial bloke out to fit an external aerial but just make sure you get a quote in advance because they can take the piss a bit with the cost.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:38:05

(also ask your neighbours if you have any! If they are getting a perfectly good signal and your aerial is ok, perhaps there is something wrong with the box or the tv!)

Asking the neighbours is a good idea. Then think we will get ariel checked. Thanks.

DH just said arial must be fine as the non digital TV reception is OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now