Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain dongles to me?

(6 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Tue 28-Jul-09 22:07:06

We're off for 2 weeks in France shortly, and can't establish if the villa has broadband/wi-fi.

If I buy a dongle, would that solve the problem? And do I have to buy it on a contract?

Help!

TIA

JackBauer Tue 28-Jul-09 22:13:35

I have a pay as you go o2 dongle which we have used when in the middle of nowhere. It's something like 2 quid a day or something, which is fine as we don't use it often, but am willing to pay that if I need access that abdly (DH has to chekc emails when away)
It cost 30 quid to buy from o2. I would call your mobile phone provider as I think I got it cheaper because of my contract phone.

Not sure on solving problem, I thinka s long as there is a phone signal you are ok...but is there a signal...!

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 28-Jul-09 22:19:29

Aaaaaaaaargh! Can't even get info from Brittany ferries about broadband/wi-fi never mind if there's a signal!

Good idea to check with current provider - will try that tomorrow.

JackBauer Tue 28-Jul-09 22:24:35

I would get one anyway if you are unsure. It wasn't that expensive and costs nothing while it sits in the laptops pocketk, but when we go to races or wherever I can log on and mooch on MN or check emails from the comfort of my car!

Plus handy for camping and visiting friends/family with no internet

fishie Tue 28-Jul-09 22:31:32

i hate patchy coverage, would rather have nothing than continually losing connection.

get it and pay £5 a month forever for a mysterious gadget. much easier than having to wonder and you can always give up if lousy coverage, nothing lost.

Check the cost from abroad. It used to be ruinously expensive to access the internet while roaming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now