Talk

Advanced search

OK - complicated Excel issue - I hate EYFS & I wish I were a computer expert

(12 Posts)
Katymac Sat 25-Jul-09 22:51:30

I need to display photos with information next to them & then print it out

The pictures are too big

The information is presented using a look up table

I need to do this job - maybe 24 pages each weekend so I am trying to make it easy. But currently I have 500 odd photos to do.

& when I import multiple photos into excell it cascades them

Has anyone any ideas how I can do it?

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 07:28:33

Bump

Scootergrrrl Sun 26-Jul-09 07:30:15

The pictures are too big physically or the file size is too big?

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 08:29:07

Physically big - I am reducing the size using picture tools

can you make a cell show written words from another cell (on a different page)?

RustyBear Sun 26-Jul-09 08:32:18

To make a cell repeat text from another cell on a different worksheet, you need to copy the information from the first cell & then paste a link in the cell you want to show it.
I do it all the time in Excel 2003, but if iirc you've got 2007 - hang on a minute & I'll just find out where the relevant tools are.

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 08:36:51

If it were a number I would just put = then the cell address but it's not working for words

RustyBear Sun 26-Jul-09 08:40:42

Actually it's in a really obvious place, which is unusual for Excel 2007 - usually all the function want to use are hidden away in obscure places.

So - copy the text you want, go to your new sheet, or new book, then click on the arrow under the paste icon for the Paste menu & choose Paste Link, and your text will appear.

I use it at work all the time so that on our provision map the children's targets appear on both their own page and the page for the intervention they are doing, so the SENCO can see each child's individual targets and all the targets for eg Units of Sound.

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 08:49:51

Wow that is so fab - that will help loads

I have to be honest I wish I were better with a pen & paper as it would make EYFS much easier - but I work much more easily on the Laptop (not even on a PC) so I need additional skills

I have got look up tables off pat now & this new paste link thing is great

RustyBear Sun 26-Jul-09 09:17:29

You can set up the link before you've put the text in the first cell if you want - the cell you paste to will just have a 0 in it because that will be the value of the formula for a blank cell. When you add text to the first cell, or change it, the second cell changes too.

I can't find an easy way to resize a lot of pictures in Vista/Excel 2007 - you can insert a lot of pictures, select them all by holding down Ctrl & use the set height & width tool to change them all at the same time, but it's very awkward as the pictures will take up so much room when they're first inserted.

It's annoying it would be really useful to me too, and because I have a vague memory of having done something like this ages ago & I can't remember how. If I did, it was at work though & I won't be back there now till September.

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 09:33:33

Ah well

It's taken me 2 days to set up the first set of sheets but hopefully I will just be able to change stuff for all the other children iyswim

Do you use EYFS?

RustyBear Sun 26-Jul-09 10:13:46

No, we're a junior school, so we have our own set of hoops to jump through.

I'm the IT manager & the SENCO & I have spent the last couple of yeas creating this massive Provision map spreadsheet showing all the interventions we do for all the children on statements, SA, SA+ & CA with their targets for the term, which are reviewed each term & a new one set.

Every so often either the SENCO or I will get a great Idea for some way to improve it & it all gets changed. We've now just about got it into a form where it's really easy for the teachers to use, which probably means that somebody somewhere will change the goalposts again and we'll have to alter it...

Katymac Sun 26-Jul-09 10:24:55

I know the feeling - I had it just so for Birth to three & now it's a major rewrite - well actually so much has changed it is a whole new thing

But it should mean each week only spending about an hour a child (so that's just 14 hours <gulp>)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now