Talk

Advanced search

Am I in the right place for laptop buying advice?

(9 Posts)
JigglyPiggy Thu 23-Jul-09 22:12:07

Did'nt know whether to post this here or in products but thought i would try here first

We are looking to buy a laptop as competition for the pc is at an all time high and the ipod touch is struggling.

We only have a small budget but want a laptop with cd/dvd drive as opposed to those netbook thingys

Ive been looking at argos / tesco as we have some vouchers

acer £379 i think its also £348 in tesco

asus £279

or there is an emachines instore at asda that was £200 here

Can anyone offer any thoughts on the above or suggest something better / cheaper? (I've been looking on ebay but DH wants a new one)

thanks

Kbear Thu 23-Jul-09 22:15:10

I just bought an Acer 6935g. It is FAB.

Are you likely to want to play games on it because if you do make sure it has a good graphics card. For this you will probably need to pay a bit more than £300-400. Games won't run well without a good graphics card.

RustyBear Thu 23-Jul-09 22:18:33

Tesco had a nice-looking Toshiba in today - think it was this one. I'd always go for Toshiba over Acer from past experience.

kaz33 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:18:57

Dell are the biggest online retailer only selling on the net they allow you to specify your machine and they have machines in that price range
www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Or there is dell outlet
www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/dfh/df.aspx?refid=df&cs=ukdfh1&s=dfh
Same computers just returned or refurbished, still guaranteed.

sazm Thu 23-Jul-09 22:24:50

hi,i got my acer from ebay £190 delivered,brnd new,
it was a graded one (catalogue return had a VERY light scratchon the outer casing)

JigglyPiggy Thu 23-Jul-09 22:30:03

I dont think games will be an issue for me, i just hate being a full time lurker on MN because DH is hogging the PC grin

the home pc is a dell so I shall have a look at them.

whats up with acers then?

I had a look at the toshiba today but its £1 more in tesco than the acer and has a lower spec so if i was going to go for less spec i may go for the asda £200 emachines (unless they are really crap?)

sazm Thu 23-Jul-09 23:01:55

i had an emachines pc and it was PANTS, it couldnt be upgraded or anything,
the tesco acer was the one i planned to get,but when i seen the one on ebay i couldnt resist

Kbear Fri 24-Jul-09 17:54:50

ebuyer.com have a special offer on an Acer - look at their home page

JigglyPiggy Sun 26-Jul-09 10:36:41

thanks for all your help.

we decided to go for the acer in tescos as it seemed to give the most for the money we had plus we had vouchers etc to use.

fingers crossed its worth it when i finally get it next week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now