Talk

Advanced search

How do you have 2 websites in the same webspace?

(5 Posts)
LoveBuckets Wed 22-Jul-09 14:53:21

Trying to launch my 2nd website but not sure how to forward the 2nd domain name to the 2nd website as the url is already used for the first.
Any common sense much appreciated as I seem to be lacking at present, thanks.smile

MrAnchovy Wed 22-Jul-09 15:28:51

Not sure what you mean. Is it like this:

You have purchased the domain myfirstone.com and you have a web host that serves pages for this at www.myfirstone.com.

Now you have purchased mysecondone.com and you want to use the same web host to serve pages for www.mysecondone.com, so that www.mysecondone.com/index.html is different from www.myfirstone.com/index.html?

LoveBuckets Thu 23-Jul-09 09:53:45

Yep, I'm using the free webspace that comes with my broadband package.

MrLSG Thu 23-Jul-09 10:35:24

Depends on what your broadband package provides.
Most hosts will have some sort of control panel/page which allows you to set up various things. If you package allows what you want, you use the control panel to point myfirstone.com at one directory in your webspace, and mysecondone.com at a different directory.

onagar Thu 23-Jul-09 15:10:50

If it's free there's a reasonable chance they will not allow it.

If you have full control over your domain name it might work to use url redirect where you send www.newdomain.com to www.olddomain.com/somefolder, but personally I think that's not very good as it still shows the original domain name in the address bar.

There is also something called 'URL Frame' which I've never tried, but also sounds a bit messy

I get my webspace from Arvixe for $4 a month (£2.45) and they let you point 6 domain names to the one account and you get unlimited email addresses (for each domain name) etc.

They also throw in a free domain name for life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now