Talk

Advanced search

transferring Office to mini-laptop with no disc drive

(3 Posts)
eeky Fri 17-Jul-09 16:51:57

I bought a teeny-tiny Dell laptop, which I love. Anticipating using it to mumsnet at same time as bf new baby in September, or for dd to use when she is older.

Obviously it only has USB ports for sticks and no disc drive. On our ancient pc we have an old version of Office which was installed on it when we bought. On our bigger but basic laptop we installed Office from a disc copied for us by friend (not bought official version blush).

Can I transfer either of these to new laptop? Have had a try with memory stick but no joy - I'm not v computer literate, as you can probably tell! Will I have to pay to download new version or to buy new disc and somehow install? And same questions for Norton Antivirus which we have official disc for?

bubbles4 Fri 17-Jul-09 23:21:32

You could download Open Office which is a free download and although I havent used it I think it is compatible with Microsoft Office.You cannot transfer anti virus programs from computer to computer but again there are plenty of free ones,avg and avira being a couple,I always use avg and it works fine.

RustyBear Sat 18-Jul-09 20:42:58

Which version of Norton do you have? Mine is valid for up to 3 computers. You can buy an external CD/DVD drive which plugs in to a USB port, but I'd agree with bubbles that Open Office is probably a better idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now