Talk

Advanced search

Laptop won't charge and battery has run down -argh

(8 Posts)
LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 15-Jul-09 14:20:42

Laptop wire has been a bit temprrmental - was needing to be in a certain position to get it to be connected. Now battery has run down and can't get the right position.

The power supply makes an "electrical" noise so I assume it is the connection. The pin inside the laptop seems secure. Is this something a computer repair person can sort? And how do you find a reputable one?

Am glad I got an iPod touch last week grin.

If it can't be sorted can you get hard drive info off it somehow?

HolyGuacamole Wed 15-Jul-09 14:27:27

Is a Dell? Just wondering as I have an old Dell that has the same problem. In my case, it is the connection inside the laptop case that needs taken out and replaced with a new one. A common problem apparently. I was quoted £100 for this about a year ago which I thought was expensive considering you can buy the part from ebay for a few pounds.

I went and bought a new laptop instead as the Dell was a few years old anyway.

If you call up a few computer repair type people and explain the problem, they should be able to quote you over the phone. If I remember correctly, the guy who quoted me said it was so expensive because he had to send it away to get it done.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 15-Jul-09 14:27:59

Little bump

manfrom Wed 15-Jul-09 14:34:35

Sounds like a dodgy connection. If the problem is on the power unit then you could just replace the power pack (try ebay). If it's a problem the sensitive little bit inside the laptop then the problem will be more tricky to fix. I had the same problem on an HP laptop and ended up binning it, cheaper to get a new one.

*feel free to ignore following advice*

^you could try wedging some silver foil in there to tighten up the connection, but be warned, this could be a serious fire hazard!!^

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 15-Jul-09 14:35:42

Sorry I cross posted. Not a dell but I am sure it happens to lots of types. Will try calling some places and see what they say.

scienceteacher Wed 15-Jul-09 14:36:30

Buy a new charger. They really don't last for long.

Ebay is good.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 15-Jul-09 14:41:53

Yes but would the charger be making a little buzz noise if it were that that had the problem? Also the fact we've had to orientate the plugging in bit to the laptop suggests it is some problem at that end.

Bother.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 15-Jul-09 14:43:45

Worryinly tempted by silver foil idea

Although can seenot exactly safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now