Talk

Advanced search

I need a new mobile phone - Nokia if possible - come and recommend yours

(34 Posts)
TrillianoftheShineyCult Wed 15-Jul-09 12:37:24

Or do whatever the opposite of recommending is: tell me yours is shit and not to get it. grin

I don't care if it plays music, I do want it to take pictures. I'll probably buy it off ebay so doesn't have to be a totally current model.

I carry it around in a handbag and it gets shaken around, so no touch-screens for me. Slidey or clamshell would be great.

Suggestions please?

TrillianoftheShineyCult Wed 15-Jul-09 13:06:45

I know you nearly all have mobiles, come on!

Mamazon Wed 15-Jul-09 13:07:51

the N95 is pretty brilliant

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 15-Jul-09 13:13:48

Have got a 2760 one its ok, camera etc but it has a stupid tiny point for the charger and as yet cant find an in car charger for it. I think part of the problem is it is a newish phone and i was probably looking in the worng place. but it was cheap so whenit gets dropped/flushed/washed or generally highjacked by a helpful ds i wont cry too much.

On yep on pay as go so bought rather then got nwith contract.

squashedfrogs Wed 15-Jul-09 13:23:14

The N95 is good, not broken mine despite dropping it a few times and the camera is amazing. It's also good for taking video (dvd quality) of fast moving 2yo when she won't stop to pose. When the video is downloaded it's good enough quality to 'capture' photos from using a free download from DVDvideosoft.

I was going to upgrade to something else recently and couldn't find anything I liked more. The more recent models come with inbuilt memory and I think are pretty cheap as it's been out couple of years now.

TrillianoftheShineyCult Wed 15-Jul-09 13:38:27

Ooh, two votes for the N95. Sturdy is definitely good!

What's so brilliant about it IYO Mamazon?

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 15-Jul-09 13:43:46

I don't do slidey (usually useless for left handers) or clamshell, but if that's not essential, get a Nokia E71.

TrillianoftheShineyCult Wed 15-Jul-09 13:48:18

Just had a look at that CantSleep - thanks for the recommendation but I think I might have to add 'normal keypad' to the list of things I want, I'm not keen on the mini qwerty.

Polgara2 Wed 15-Jul-09 13:49:07

E63 is a slightly cheaper version of the E71 - both good.

Naetha Wed 15-Jul-09 13:56:31

I've got a Nokia 6500 slide and I love it.

I'm not a "phoney" person, but it does the job - easy to call, text and has a great calendar function too. Decent camera, and you can put your own micro SD card in it to expand the capacity to 4gb. It doesn't have sat nav, amazing games, or make your tea, but you asked for a phone, not a computer!

I got mine from Orange, on the Raccoon 25 plan for 18 months which gives 200 anytime minutes, 300 texts and unlimited landline calls for £20 a month (online discout, is usually £25).

The phone is brilliant, had it nearly a year now and think it's awesome. It's stood up well to being dribbled on, dropped in catfood, sat on repeatedly (as in, stuck in back pocket, and sat down heavily on park bench kinda thing). The plan's not bad either - I've never gone over my limits in the course of keeping in touch with friends and family.

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 09:51:51

More phones please?

Or repeats of recommending the same ones?

The N95 looks good but it still pretty expensive. There's a newer version of the 6500 that looks pretty, it only has average reviews but I suppose I only need an average phone really.

PrincessToadstool Thu 16-Jul-09 09:55:01

I think mine is the 6500 too. It's alright. Lasted a year of being chewed/dropped by DS. Definitely get an SD card though as phone memory is tiny.

I don't think it's anything special but I have an iPod touch for using email etc so as a phone it functions alright.

harleyd Thu 16-Jul-09 09:56:36

my 6500 slide has a life of its own, i swear its possessed, turns itself on and off, beeps for no apparent reason, sends txts to my entire phonebook sometimes instead of just one number
but then...ive dropped it, bounced it, drowned it, thrown it...
its not a bad wee phone, a bit out of date now tho

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 10:06:57

Look it's the girly version of the 6500.

I don't want a posessed phone. Just one a bit less scratched than my current one, that doesn't feel like the front is about to fall off.

harleyd Thu 16-Jul-09 10:09:05

grrr trill do not show me shiney new phones!!!
i cant change mine for another 4 months

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 10:10:59

Or this is the updated version of my current phone (I have 6300, this is 6700).

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 10:13:25

Sorry harley - you can help me shop instead!

TrillianAstra Thu 16-Jul-09 16:57:48

Any more thoughts/ideas?

Haylstones Thu 16-Jul-09 17:06:17

I've got to say that I recently gave up my N95 as I just hated it- many many reasons.
Also good are 6220, 6300 (bit basic tho) and N73.
I've gone for a LG Viewty, which I'm quite impressed by but it's touch screen so no use for you!

JohnDory Thu 16-Jul-09 17:07:07

i hate slides and clam shells

i never like new phones ever
still prefer my one from 3 years ago

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jul-09 09:33:37

Thanks JohnDory, but since my old one is on the verge of falling apart that's not very helpful. If your old one is really that amazing you could tell me what it is and I could maybe buy one off ebay.

I think my current one is a 6300 Haylstones, but not sure.

Any more thoughts?

Haylstones Fri 17-Jul-09 11:26:13

this is a pretty good site

Does it have to be Nokia? Samsungs and Sony phones are good now.

TrillianAstra Fri 17-Jul-09 11:46:33

It does have to be Nokia because:

a) I find their operating systems sensible and intuitive
b) if I expand the field to all available phones it will be too hard to choose

Thanks for the link.

fishie Fri 17-Jul-09 11:48:08

i've got a samsung after years of nokias. it is better except it locks after 10 secs which is irritating.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Fri 17-Jul-09 11:49:23

sony ericsson K850i is fab. solid, non-slidey, 5mb camera, can't fault it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now