Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used Open Office on Linux?

(32 Posts)
policywonk Sun 12-Jul-09 19:19:11

Now there's a geeky question for you.

I'm thinking about buying a Linux OS netbook, but I want to use Word documents on it, and be able to send said documents to people running MS Windows OSs. Just want to check that people have done this without losing all the formatting in the Word documents (which would be disastrous for me, I'm a formatting monkey).

It certainly won't lose all the formatting, but there are sometimes issues with formatting between Word and OpenOffice 2. I haven't used OpenOffice 3 on Linux, so I can't say with any certainty if it's better.

I shoudl add that if OpenOffice doesn't work for you, you can run genuine MS Office with wine (free), or Crossover Office (paid for version, with support).

policywonk Mon 13-Jul-09 12:26:53

Thanks very much CAUP. God I love MN, that's the second really obscure question I've had answered today.

When you say 'MS Office with wine (free)', do you mean there's an OS called 'wine'? Or are you offering me a drink?grin

Wine is a Linux package that allows you to run some Windows programs.

policywonk Mon 13-Jul-09 16:16:58

That's fab, thank you.

ChairmumMiaow Mon 13-Jul-09 16:18:52

You should generally be fine with openoffice though. We've run a business with Linux only (Except for our accounts package) for 4 years, and worked for another business doing the same for 2 years before that, so its quite possible

PortAndLemon Mon 13-Jul-09 16:18:54

Yes, I use OpenOffice on Linux on my Netbook with no problems. I don't offhand recall whether it's OpenOffice 2 or 3, and my battery is flat just at the moment, but I've not had any formatting problems at all (I was pleasantly surprised).

policywonk Mon 13-Jul-09 17:27:50

Thank you to Miaow and Port

I am very tempted, the netbook is only £200...

policywonk Mon 13-Jul-09 17:31:59

zounds, it's gone out of stock!

There's a similar one for the same price with XP on though.

cazzybabs Mon 13-Jul-09 17:33:51

yes and i do ... just sometimes it does odd things with the formatting but only sometimes

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 13-Jul-09 17:33:57

Just get a Mac wink

policywonk Mon 13-Jul-09 17:36:53

Thanks cazzy

I had a Mac (G4) once. It blew itself up literally a week after the one-year warranty expired. The snotty attitude of the man at the help centre was absolutely infuriating and I swore I'd never buy one again (the software is so expensive).

But of course I have an iPod and lust after an iPhone.

flier Fri 17-Jul-09 08:17:30

Policywonk, did you get your netbook? I've been looking into getting one too and am also considering going down the linux route.
Just wondered which one you were looking at?

policywonk Sat 18-Jul-09 19:03:42

Hi flier

The Linux one I was looking at was this one but it went out of stock while I was stroking my chin about it.

So I've bought this one instead - it has XP though. Haven't received it yet - it's coming on Tuesday (hopefully).

flier Mon 20-Jul-09 08:36:35

thanks pw, will you let me know what you think of it when it comes?

policywonk Tue 21-Jul-09 14:15:07

Ooooh, well, it's here. It's small (obv. grin). Set-up was straightforward. It doesn't have Office (for some reason I thought it would but that's my bad), so I'll have to get a pirate copy shell out for that. Can't connect to the internet yet cos DP has set up some weird security thing on our wireless, so will report back when he has sorted that out.

Snorbs Tue 21-Jul-09 14:52:33

You could always load Linux on it yourself...

flier Tue 21-Jul-09 15:39:27

thanks policywonk. I'd be interested to hear what the speed of it i slike in comparison t what you used before - was it a pc or laptop? I don't want to be disappointed when I get one smile

and of course, yes, you could always load linux onto it.

policywonk Tue 21-Jul-09 22:40:27

Well then, have sorted out the wireless. It loads big sites (eg BBC, Guardian home page) much more quickly than my normal PC (DP says this is because my usual one has a slower processor). Streams audio well. The only thing I haven't yet done is watch any video, but it's thumbs up so far!

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 21-Jul-09 22:59:54

We have linux notebook for dp's surfing, which has open office on it.
have desktop with ms office on it because its got all the work stuff on.

I have found that if dp emails an open office doc to someone with ms office, often they can't open it.

So he's given up and for anything that needs a doc attaching (quotes etc) he kicks me off the desktop and does it in ms office.

Saves the faffing about when people reply with 'I got an email from you but can't open the attached doc'.

Cosette Tue 21-Jul-09 23:25:34

flibberty - you could get your dp to download Lotus Symphony symphony.lotus.com for free, as it has an option to open and save back automatically into MS Office format. It's based on open office, and works on linux.

MrAnchovy Wed 22-Jul-09 00:23:25

Or you could just choose Save As -> Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP format in Open Office

nevergoogledragonbutter Wed 22-Jul-09 00:25:25

Oi, Mranchovy, I've been trying to find you. about the mosaic with the astronomy thingy.

MrAnchovy Wed 22-Jul-09 01:04:47

Oh ... here I am (hijack warning )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now