Talk

Advanced search

quick help me please pc people. is a celeron cpu 2.8 faster than my pentium 3 processor

(6 Posts)
ipiratethief Wed 01-Jul-09 20:09:04

my pc is dying. got a copy of windows xp on it, can't update, that sort of thing.

it is a Tiny pc from 1999. 12gb hd.

there is a tower on ebay, here doesn't say what make but it's got a 40gb hd. It's on buy it now for £40, £12 p+P, or best offer secures. Its got xp built in. Seller says it has a sticker on the front with product key, and that it automatically does theupdates.

what do you think?

ipiratethief Wed 01-Jul-09 20:13:28

uber bump.

thanks

ipiratethief Wed 01-Jul-09 20:17:44

i know there is someone out there grin

MrVibrating Wed 01-Jul-09 22:41:49

It will be faster than your P3, but really needs more memory to fly with XP - get an upgrade from MrMemory or wherever. And note that it is XP Home Edition - google for the differences from the XP you are used to so there are no surprises. Although personally I would run Ubuntu (or some other Linux) on a machine of this spec.

ipiratethief Thu 02-Jul-09 07:38:39

thanks for that, maybe I need to go for something else. I am strapped for cash, but need to get it sorted soon.

By more memory that most mean something i physically put into the tower, I think i remember yrs back ex and I did something like that to this one? As far as I remember it was fairly straightforward.

Is the 256 thing also called the cache?

Unless anyone has any more suggestions.

Memory's generally easy to fit. The hard bit might be making sure you get the right type.

RAM and cache aren't the same thing. I wouldn't worry about cache, but put in more RAM (main memory), if you buy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now