Talk

Advanced search

swapping from pc to mac?

(15 Posts)
KathG Fri 26-Jun-09 14:47:56

Hi thinking of this (use lots of office stuff though) - anyone done it, and have you regretted it?

claricebeansmum Fri 26-Jun-09 17:41:23

Will watch this thread - I really think I would benefit from a Mac but my DH has been brainwashed by Microsoft

gerontius Fri 26-Jun-09 21:27:18

We did this recently. It's fantastic. The Mac is shinier, faster, easier to use, doesn't break, and can be used straight out of the box. The wireless required to sorting. As for the transferring bit, that was easy too. We just got a 16gb memory stick, got everything off the PC and put it onto the Mac. It required a couple of trips though.
Everything's just so nice when you've got a Mac.

Juwesm Fri 26-Jun-09 21:30:35

What Gerontius said!

Lovely shiny Mac! And Office for Mac seems better than the PC version (though this may be in my head!)

FlappyTheBat Fri 26-Jun-09 21:34:59

Made the move from PC to Mac 3.5 years ago and will never go back to PC.

Prefer everything there is about Mac and have never regretted the swap. What I really like also is not having to load up cds' before I plug new camera, mobile dongle etc.

Juwesm, it's not in your head about Office for Mac!

3dMum Sat 27-Jun-09 22:34:54

Yes DO IT you won't regret it. I come from a programming background and I find the mac makes my life a lot easier. Everything is very well integrated. Mac Mail is nicer to use rather than Outlook.

If you really need to use pc programs you could always use vmware which will enable you to boot in to Windows.

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:45:58

Do it! And if you get it from an Apple Store they'll help you transfer all your stuff over. And can give you extra lessons on things you aren't sure about.

I use Pages rather than Wierd now for word processing and Numbers rather than Excel (the Mac Office suite) and much prefer it. If you really need Wierd, you can get it though. Pages takes a little getting used to, but then all packages do.

Also, the Apple Stores do days for children during the summer holidays where they'll teach them some multimedia stuff like how to use Garage Band or iMovie - all for free (well they were last year)! But then you might have to get your DCs a Mac too!

misshardbroom Sat 27-Jun-09 22:48:26

I love the Mac, I switched about 5 years ago and now I'd never buy anything else.

Having said that, I do have a new PC for work and I fumble about on it like someone's granny because I've forgotten where to find everything blush

zippy539 Sat 27-Jun-09 22:48:49

Years ago I wnt from Mac to PC because I couldn't read any work files that were sent to me. I'd love to go back to Mac but can you read everything that sent from a PC these days? (ancient emoticon...)

PigeonPie Sat 27-Jun-09 22:53:02

I haven't had a problem. I have got OpenOffice as well, but most of the time it's easy to read. And it's easy to convert files from Mac to PC using 'Export'. Doing PDFs is so easy and you don't need Acrobat and doing fancy printing (4 pages to and A4 page to make 4 A6 flyers for instance) is a doddle.

KathG Mon 29-Jun-09 10:03:38

DO you know how easy it is to connect to an exchange server with out having to boot to windows?

thanks for all the replies...

MrVibrating Mon 29-Jun-09 13:30:02

Using Entourage (the email client that comes with Office for Mac), very easy - it was designed for it.

Any email client (eg Mail) can be easily set up to connect to an IMAP or POP3 server, and some Microsft Exchange servers have one or both of these protocols available. Sending mails might not be so easy though in this case.

Another option is to use the webmail client for Exchange.

Probably best to ask whoever provides the Exchange server - IT department at work or independent hosting service - what is set up to work on their service.

OrangeFish Mon 29-Jun-09 13:35:12

Zippy, I was concerned about this (went from mac to PC years ago because of the same reasons, oh and actually because may mac was getting too old and I couldn't afford to get another one.

I got one recently and can't believe how compatible things are now. I have not had any problem using old files in my new mac. No idea about emails because I use google mail so have not need to use it through programs, etc.

As everyone else said, everything is just sooo nice when you got a mac.

EyeballsandherSunburntNorks Mon 29-Jun-09 13:38:46

I use Macs at home and a PC <spit> at work and send things betweent he two frequently. No problems at all.

Go for it, you know you want to...

KathG Fri 03-Jul-09 17:29:08

ok so fingers crossed I have ordered a mac...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now