Talk

Advanced search

what is the difference between phishing and hoax emails???????

(8 Posts)
mrsmortenharket Fri 26-Jun-09 10:24:50

am stumped hmm

throckenholt Fri 26-Jun-09 10:29:19

phising is trying to get you to send your password and id to whatever - so that they can use it.

They are a hoax - but a specific kind. Hoax emails are just ones that purport to be true and aren't. Not all hoax emails are malicious (although many are).

Bottom line - NEVER send out your login details to anyone - those who need it already have it - and no-one else needs it.

throckenholt Fri 26-Jun-09 10:29:36

or even phishing blush

mrsmortenharket Fri 26-Jun-09 10:57:08

thanks throckenbolt smile

(intrigued by your name - however did you come by it?)

throckenholt Fri 26-Jun-09 11:03:56

I grew up there

mrsmortenharket Fri 26-Jun-09 11:05:15

ah. am very sorry but have never heard of it blushsmile

throckenholt Fri 26-Jun-09 11:11:55

wouldn't expect you to - it is a tiny place that even many people in the area would never have heard of !

That is why I picked it - at the time I started using it - very few people there had internet so I thought no-one else was likely to use it grin - many moons ago - probably now even there most people have broadband.

NetworkNanniesSurrey Sat 27-Jun-09 09:39:43

Just a point to note, i have recently been getting e-mail from "e-bay" users claiming that they are about to leave bad feedback unless i contact them. The e-mail looks like an e-bay one but links direct to a very suspicious IP addres.....

Anyway these have been coming into my company e-mail, so i know these are fake (Network Nannies has no e-bay account!). However, if this had been to my private e-mail i might not have realised so soon.

Double check everything you get even if it looks genuine.

If you want to see some amusing ways to deal with internest scammers go and visit these guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now