Talk

Advanced search

Prob a stupid question, but is there any way to run a sat nav & a dvd player (in car) off the same cigarette lighter?

(12 Posts)
babypowder Sat 20-Jun-09 09:46:35

That's it, really. We're off on a very long haul drive (hence the need for both sat nav and dvd. They are both essential to my asnity!) My old car had 2 cigarette lighter things, but this one has just the one in the front.

babypowder Sat 20-Jun-09 09:47:15

That would, of course, be sanity Although asnity has a nice ring to it, and is probably more appropriate somehow smile

MaryBS Sat 20-Jun-09 09:49:18

Never used one so don't know how good they are:

splitter

Snorbs Sat 20-Jun-09 09:49:27

You can get multi-way adaptors that plug into a cigarette lighter and provide two (or more) extra sockets. Try Halfords and/or Argos, although many garages also sell them.

serenity Sat 20-Jun-09 09:50:55

You can get a thingummy to plug in there that allows you plug more than one thing at the same time, like a plug adaptor for a wall socket. We got ours from a pound shop, but I'm sure Maplins or Halfords, or even Argos would do something similar.

MumHadEnough Sat 20-Jun-09 09:55:00

How long is the drive? Most portable dvd's will run for 2.5 hours off the battery.

babypowder Sat 20-Jun-09 10:00:46

We'll be driving around 6 hours every day for 4 days. (ick)

Snorbs Sat 20-Jun-09 10:01:12

Argos Quad Lighter Adaptor

babypowder Sat 20-Jun-09 10:02:07

Are those splitter things OK to use for a longer time? I'm hopeless at physics, and although I understand why we can use multi-socket adaptors in the house I'm all at sea in the car. So to speak.

serenity Sat 20-Jun-09 10:46:04

TBH? No idea, but I would do it - car's running all the time and recharging battery, I presume it's during the day so you're not using lights. Just be careful. I can't imagine the Sat Nav draws that much power (DVD player would use more) Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge will know!

babypowder Sat 20-Jun-09 10:47:14

Thanks!

MaryBS Sat 20-Jun-09 11:03:10

I think the worst that'll happen is you blow the fuse for the cigarette lighter. But ask in somewhere like Halfords if no-one knows here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now