Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way of drawing a website map (organisation chart) in Word or similar?

(6 Posts)
janegrey Tue 16-Jun-09 14:18:41

Help please! I need to draw a site map for a new website - it would be similar to an organisation chart with, for example, the home page at the top and then the subsections underneath it.

I've started doing it in Word, but some of the boxes need quite a bit of text in them and when I try to change the layout so that they hang to the side, the boxes with losts of text don't display what's in them.

Has anyone had experience of this?

Is Word the best program to use, or is there something more suitable?

Or does anyone know how to expand the boxes in a Word organisational chart so it shows all the text you want to display?

Tia

Wigeon Tue 16-Jun-09 18:07:38

You can draw an organisational chart in PowerPoint - in my version you just search "add organization chart" and you get instructions as to how to do it. Much much easier than fiddling about with text boxes in Word.

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 16-Jun-09 18:24:50

Microsoft Visio might be of use if you have it installed. Its kind of designed for this sort of thing. Great for when the ISO 9001 guys come a knocking, they love process flow charts. wink

janegrey Tue 16-Jun-09 19:13:58

Thank you. Fortunately the person who's looking after the development has offered to do it for me in Visio if I just give him an outline of what we need - I don't think I have Visio.

wotzy Tue 16-Jun-09 22:42:44

I still find like using and old fashioned A3 piece of paper and pencil. Add more paper to edges with blue tack, until it covers the kitchen floor. Ask everyone round for coffee to see it. You can move pieces around.

grin

janegrey Wed 17-Jun-09 08:28:21

Thanks wotsy - that's how I drew it up originally - flipchart paper and post-it notes.

Trouble is, I have to share it electronically with people in different locations so it needs to be on some sort of computer format too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now