Talk

Advanced search

I want to use a laptop or netbook to record TV what do I need to know?

(12 Posts)
flier Tue 16-Jun-09 08:36:28

Says it all really.

I am looking into buying a laptop or netbook. It will basically be plugged into our LCD TV/monitor (it has freeview) and I'd like it to be able to record tv that we can watch back later.

I'm sure this is possible but I don't know where to start. Then again maybe it isn't possible.

help!!! smile

GrandadOnagar Tue 16-Jun-09 12:56:49

You can buy a USB stick that does Digital TV and just plugs into the laptop (you plug a cable from your house aerial into the back of the stick)

Example1 Example2

Those may not be the best ones to get. I'm a bit out of touch.

With the old VHS recorders you could record using the TV's tuner. I'm not sure you can do that in this situation, but perhaps someone else will know.

GrandadOnagar Tue 16-Jun-09 13:00:55

I think this is the one we got, but it was ages ago and there may be better ways.

flier Tue 16-Jun-09 13:04:17

thanks GrandadOnagar. I'm already getting the freeview signal to the tv. I'm hoping I won't have to buy another receiver, just something that will allow me to record onto my laptops hard drive or even to a usb stick.

Kewcumber Tue 16-Jun-09 13:06:06

If you can alre4ady receive tv, isn't there software already loaded to play and record TV?

My laptop came with a receiver and software which allowed you to do this. I don;t know of any netbooks which will let you.

flier Tue 16-Jun-09 13:08:22

thanks kewcumber. Can I ask which laptop you have?

Kewcumber Tue 16-Jun-09 16:46:34

I have a big Acer Aspire media centre kind of thingie. BIg wide screen (17"), Acer;s own software allows you to record onto the hard drive, though I've only does it once it worked perfectly well.

GrandadOnagar Tue 16-Jun-09 16:51:40

It seems likely that you will need a Video Capture card in your laptop to do this. I can't be 100% sure though.

GrandadOnagar Tue 16-Jun-09 16:52:47

Kewcumber, does your laptop already have a tuner card then so you can see TV on it?

flier Tue 16-Jun-09 17:13:44

great, thanks kewcumber and GrandadOnagar now I know what to google for, I can start researching what I need to get.

Kewcumber Tue 16-Jun-09 17:22:32

mine is similar to this www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_8930G_Laptop_LX.AT10X.002/version.asp?PID=

flier Tue 16-Jun-09 17:41:59

thanks kc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now