Advanced search

Need resources for learning web design

(18 Posts)
KerryMumbles Sat 13-Jun-09 10:56:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KerryMumbles Sat 13-Jun-09 12:49:41

amisuchabadmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 13:09:50

You want to learn how to design for the web or you want to learn how to produce a website and website pages?

If its the later, use microsoft front page - its so like microsoft word that if you can use a word processing package you can use front page....

If you want to learn to design then it depends what experience in design you have so far...

KerryMumbles Sat 13-Jun-09 13:10:45

KerryMumbles Sat 13-Jun-09 13:11:14

amisuchabadmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 13:12:04

ah right, sorry can't help - i've never used any of the free packages.

good luck though....

Earlybird Sat 13-Jun-09 13:14:05

This thread might be helpful....?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/extra_curricular_activities/756994-ds-wants-to-make-a-website

NetworkNanniesSurrey Sat 13-Jun-09 16:17:30

You could use a blog like Wordpress, its like a website and also free. I have been playing about with it myself recently and im having some success. It is as simple or as complicated as you like.

get it here!

Bearing in mind i only just two months ago started using Frontpage its actually not that hard to do. I even designed and build my company website from scratch.

Molesworth Sat 13-Jun-09 16:25:44

I recommend Wordpress too: it's brilliant (and free).

There's really no need for you to learn HTML etc unless you particularly want to.

NetworkNanniesSurrey Sat 13-Jun-09 16:42:33

I just started using Dreamweaver to create new themes in Wordpress. That quite complicated to do, but i found this plugin called Themedreamer and it lets you create it so much easier. Only have a 15 day trial but i might upgrade to the full one.

nannynick Sat 13-Jun-09 16:43:57

I like the books by SitePoint. The website has previews of the books you can download, such as a sample chapter.

Check your local library for books on HTML, CSS. While they may be a quite old they will give you the basics of coding web pages. Once you know the basics you can then learn about the things you want to add - such as MySQL database. Librarys also have Graphic Design books which will teach you the basics of page layouts.

juneybean Sat 13-Jun-09 16:45:18

I learnt through www.funkychickens.com/main.asp Funky Chickens or even easier is Lissa Explains although it is aimed at children (I was 13 when I learnt) it does explain things easily.

www.lissaexplains.com/

NetworkNanniesSurrey Sat 13-Jun-09 21:28:21

Oh, you are going to need a host to place your site.

one.com are really good. Simple to use and are really cheap. You can register a domain name AND get a year of hosting for about £10. You get one MySQL database (more than enough for basic web pages). They offer lots of templates to get you started (these are good to disect for learning) and you can have a simple blog in about 30 seconds! Oh, did i mention that the staff are online all day to answer questions?

Also you will want to use an FTP client. You can use a built in one on a host server, but i would highly recommend filezilla. It is free and really simple to use. You will need this if you choose to create a Wordpress Blog.

Once you have your site ready you then need to make sure search engines can find it. Open a google acount and submit your site. You should also do this on others out there too (Yahoo, MSN etc). Not everyone Googles.

Once you do that you then need to worry about SEO. But ill not give away my secrets on an open forum...wink

KerryMumbles Sat 13-Jun-09 21:37:35

If you're going for the Wordpress option, then they are hosting the site, so you won't need a host or FTP client. And you really don't have to worry about submitting to search engines until you're a bit further along with the website...

I tried learning by myself using various resources, and would second the FrontPage suggestion as being VERY easy to learn and intuative to learn if you've ever used any Microsoft software.

However, as it sort of does everything for you, you don't really learn the nuts and bolts of web design by using it.
If that is what you're interested in, then it might be worth looking into doing a simple beginner's course in HTML/CSS/Web Design somewhere. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive, but I found it was better to have someone explaining it to me, rather than just reading about it.
HTH

Oh, and Dreamweaver is a nightmare to learn (this from someone who uses lots of graphics programmes) but SO worth it!

daisybaby Sat 13-Jun-09 22:39:49

Have you tried www.yola.com. i have done a site for our holiday gite on there and it was really easy - don't know if it will do what you need it to though, but maybe worth a look?

wastingmyeducation Sun 14-Jun-09 22:35:05

Ooh, this is fab, I was about to ask about this! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now