Talk

Advanced search

sil wants 'something so she can use her ipod in her car' .Help please. :)

(17 Posts)
princessmel Sat 13-Jun-09 10:24:02

I know nothing about ipods.

I have looked online and can only see chargers and some have holders ( like in car mobile holders). If we get one of those, would she still need to listen through her earphones?

dh thinks there maybe something you can buy that makes the ipod music come out of the car stereo. Any ideas what this might be??

tia

gemmiegoatlegs Sat 13-Jun-09 10:26:40

something like this

NorbertDentressangle Sat 13-Jun-09 10:26:48

On a recent car that we hired there was a socket that you just plugged your iPod/MP3 player into (via a cable).

If she has a socket in the car then surely all she needs is the cable?

(PS -sorry that I can't be more technical and tell you what the cable and sockets are!)

DeepGoat Sat 13-Jun-09 10:32:10

check for the aux socket in her car. otherwise the fm transmitter that gemmie linked to. get one that charges too as it is pain otherwise.

princessmel Sat 13-Jun-09 10:33:14

That looks good gemmiegoatlegs

Norbert, not sure if she has such a soccet. And I can't ask her as it's her birthday today (we're going later) and she'll know we haven't got anything yet!!!!

DeepGoat Sat 13-Jun-09 10:33:59

get teh radio one and but exchange if the wrong thing.

princessmel Sat 13-Jun-09 10:34:28

Socket.

I can't check.

I guess they would only be in new cars. Her's is not brand new. Dh might know what car/age.

TripleTroubleMuffin Sat 13-Jun-09 10:34:54

Listening to an ipod in the car? With it in her ears?

GypsyMoth Sat 13-Jun-09 10:35:44

I bought a tape/cassette ( remember those?!) that goes in car stereo, it's made for iPods. Has a cable which you plug into your iPod and it thenvplays through your car speakers. It was £5 from woolworths, but tesco do them and you can probably get them online.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 13-Jun-09 10:36:07

Aux socket -that was it!

It was on the central bit between the front seats, by the hand brake (not on the actual stereo) if that helps.

If its quite a new car (and you you know the year and model) you could always phone the relevant dealership and ask if that model has an aux socket?

GypsyMoth Sat 13-Jun-09 10:38:46

Try searching apple iPod accesories........ Me and boyfriend both have one of these, really work well, but dies she have the older style cassette player in her car

Think it might be illegal to drive with headphones in?

brimfull Sat 13-Jun-09 10:42:07

BELKIN DO DIFFERENT types

scuse caps

princessmel Sat 13-Jun-09 10:42:18

She probably wants to have it coming out of the stereo. Not with ear phones. So her ds's can listen too. Also as you said it is probably dangerous.

I'll get dh to check when he's in. He's on his way home now.

gemmiegoatlegs Sat 13-Jun-09 20:56:31

the basic principle is that you have a little attachment that you plug in to your ipod. You set it to a particular radio frequency, eg. 88.8 FM. Tune your car stereo to 88.8 and your ipod music is transmitted through the radio.

RustyBear Sat 13-Jun-09 21:03:58

I have this one for my iPhone - it's very good because it automatically searches for the best wavelength with no other signal (the idea is you use a frequency that's not in use by a radio station in your area)The auto search is useful on a long journey where you're going in and out of range of various local radio stations.

misdee Sat 13-Jun-09 21:09:50

itrip

princessmel Sat 13-Jun-09 21:56:44

Thanks all

We bought her one from Halfords. Can't remember the make now but she was pleased with it

Just got back so late night fir the dc's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now