Talk

Advanced search

wireless network for Mac and pc Help

(5 Posts)
onegiantleap Thu 11-Jun-09 09:48:21

Possibly a dim question, but I'm going to stick my neck out anyway;

I have recently got a new computer, a Mac, and Talk talk sent me a new wireless router and ethernet cable. Previously I was using a wired modem to my pc laptop.

So, I managed to get the internet access working with the Mac, but now we would like to hook up the pc to the wireless as well, is this possible? I believe the laptop is wireless enabled, but I never used it like this, or do I have to buy a card for it?

And how do I add it to the network?

Any help gratefully received, I'm a novice in computerland,

Assuming that the PC is a fairly standard desktop it probably won't have wireless built in so you would need to add a wireless adapter to connect wirelessly.

Frankly a wired connection is almost always better anyway. Do you really need wireless for the PC?

onegiantleap Thu 11-Jun-09 11:17:47

the pc is the laptop and the mac is desk top,
I could only make the mac connection by completely unplugging the pc. does that make sense?
Thanks

VinegarTits Thu 11-Jun-09 11:22:31

If the laptop is wireless enabled then you just need to search for avaliable wireless connections and then connect to yours, there should be a wireless icon at the bottom right of your desktop to enable you to switch on your wireless, or it may be a function key you need to press, depending on what laptop you have

What make is it?

onegiantleap Thu 11-Jun-09 21:48:04

Ok thanks vinegar, Its done! now we are a fully functioning 21st Century family!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now