Talk

Advanced search

why is my Laptop so rebellious (sp????)

(25 Posts)
FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 16:28:43

Well....on Sunday my trial version of Office suit was expired, and as previously I jsut tried to download anohter trial version, which hadn't been a prob in the past.....and apparently it had downloaded succesfully, but I could not access it....so, in the end bought the student Office suit....

since downloading this, it works lovely.....fair due...but since then I have had my Laptop rebell against me, and I wonder if it is connected with the above....

When I say rebell, it means, that I put it on sleep mode, for whatever reason, and than when I come back to it it won't work....pressing buttons won't turn it on, moving the mouse won't work...what works in the end is to unplug it and take the battery out for a moment, put it back in and turn it all back on...
but that can't be good, surely?

Why is it doing this?
Anyone know????
Please!!!!!!!!!!!

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 17:13:02

Hi. It could be any number of things. If you have had a previous version of Office instaled it could be some confilct with the new version. Did you remove the trial version? You should be able to do this by going to "Start/Setting/Control Panel/Add and remove programs". Just make sure you back up all your documents in case it goes mad on you!

If after you have done this it is still playing up, try getting a registry cleaner like this one its free to try but you would need to pay for full version, but it is very good. There are other free ones out there though but you might need to do some hunting...!

Let me know how it goes!

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 17:37:19

thank you

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 17:39:15

Oh, and in the end I just did as it told me on the screen, i.e. went from their window, asking if I want to convert to full version , and that took me to teh website, etc....it didn't mention removing anyhting...but will check it out anyway....

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 18:12:35

argh...I just uninstalled the trial versions, but left the student office cuit on, obviously...and now when I click on Office it is gone
why?
Oh crap...

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 18:19:34

Ok. Dont panic. You will need to re-instal the student version.

Now the trial one is gone this should make it work properly.

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 18:32:39

so, I can just go back on the website, and use the key code...

can you download it as often as you need, or is there a limit...it's just we wanted to download on dh's laptop and ds's pc, aswell...

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 18:36:05

oh, and should I than, first uninstall the student version of office, too...as i left that one on, which is why I am a bit shock that it has gone...

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 18:46:41

You should just instal the Student version again and it will most likely ask you to verify it is a genuine copy etc. It will put all the correct files in the place wher the previous trial version was.

You should be able to download all office software as much as you like. It is the activation key you are paying for technically. However, you need one key per PC you use it on, henve why you have to validate the key online. If you use it twice you get an error message. MS got it pretty well worked out!

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 19:00:39

i AM NOT GETTING IT...JUST TRIED TO GO INTO IT FROM THE LINK THAT THE E-MAIL SEND ME ON sUNDAY, AND IT SAYS i HAVE NOT ORDERED SOMEHTING...BUT i CAN'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO FIND ANYWHERE TO ADD MY PRODUCT KEY...
THINg IS, ooops...sorry...thing is,that I am still able to work on a Document, if I go in from an existing document and open a new one....it's jsut it has vanished from my list, and there is no short cut...iykwim...
oh crap, crap, crap...I dont get these things...

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 19:04:21

do, I have to go into buy it, again, and than I have an option for putting in the webkey, or how do I do it?

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 19:30:46

No dont go buying it again!

I see what you are sayng now, the desktop shortcut is gone? If you go to "Start" and then "Programs" does this list show "Microsoft Office" (you might need to click the little tiny arrows to expand the list)?

If you can see it in the list hover the mouse over it and it should make another list appear with Word, Excel etc in it.

Now hover over the one you need, in this case Word and click with the RIGHT mouse button and select "Send to..." and yet another menu appears.

Select "Desktop (Create Shortcut)". Microsoft love thier menus!

This should place it nicely where you need it. You need to repeat with Excel and Outlook etc if you need them.

Now hopefully that should fix it! If you get the freeze error again, you should reset your laptop by holding the power button down for about 10 seconds or so and this will turn it off.

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 20:10:26

if I use the start up bar I can see microsoft office...but all I can open from there is one note, or some such thing...I can, however, open already existingdocuments/powerpoints, than go from there into new and than I can create whatever I need to do...it's jsut gone from teh start up bar..iykwim...

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 20:43:37

All the stuff is there just the short cut is missing.

I really need ot be able to show you pictures but if you go here it should be able to guide you through easier. Im going to assume you are using Vista. (XP is so much nice to work with!)

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 20:50:58

yes Vista...will try your link...thank you ever so much for your patience smile it is much appreciated!

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 21:07:00

I can't seem to find the file on my PC, well, teh only place I can see it is where you can uninstall it, which is no good to me...sigh....
I think I will get a friends dh to have a look at it...he is in IT proffessionally and for him it will probably be a piece of cake, lol...it usually is...

NetworkNanniesSurrey Tue 02-Jun-09 21:09:47

No problem, if i were in front of your PC i could do it no trouble. Problem is im in front of mine and thats no good!

FairLadyRantALot Tue 02-Jun-09 21:11:01

lol...indeed...and I am in front of mine...and well I am IT- challenged, lol...

RustyBear Tue 02-Jun-09 23:02:08

Try this.
Right click on the Start button, left click on Explore.
This opens Windows Explorer, which has two 'panes' - on the left you will see Favourite Links which has Documents, Pictures & Music

Underneath that will be a section headed 'Folders', where you may see a list , or possibly just one item 'Desktop'.

You can 'expand' the list by clicking on the little arrows next to the words.
You need to expand 'Desktop' to find 'Computer', then 'Vista' (probably but not always followed by C)then 'Program Files'.

You may now need to scroll down using the scroll bar on the right of the left hand pane & you should find 'Microsoft Office'.
Expand that & you should see 'Office12'.
Left click on 'Office12' & you will get a lot of folders in the right hand pane.
Use the scroll bar to the right of the right hand pane to scroll down past the folders till you get to the files which aren't in folders.
You are looking for one called WINWORD.EXE. Right click on it & from the drop down menu point to 'Send to' then move your mouse over to the next column of the menu (which will pop up when you hover over Send to) & left click on 'Desktop' This will put the icon for Word on your desktop.
You can then do the same for Powerpoint (POWERPNT.EXE) Excel (EXCEL.EXE) & One Note (ONENOTE.EXE)

Good luck!

FairLadyRantALot Wed 03-Jun-09 07:22:29

Well, Rusty, thank you very much, it did work with Winword and is enabling me now to open a Word deocument.....however, it did not work for the power point, which is odd, I suppose....

FairLadyRantALot Wed 03-Jun-09 07:30:36

well, duh, with powerpoint I used the wrong one to create a short cut...but that is sorted now...however, the excell doesn't work, still, hmm...not that I have ever used Exell, so, I suppose I can live with that, lol...

Thank you ever so much...
it still isn't coming up in the atrt up menue, but at least I have shortcuts on my desctop.

FairLadyRantALot Wed 03-Jun-09 07:41:08

oh, just to say, I realised that there were 2 very similar things in that menue, and I had also used the wrong excell one to create a shortcut, but found the correct one...so...it is now all there...
ty very much...

RustyBear Wed 03-Jun-09 10:18:23

I think you may be able to send it to the start up menu as well or instead - I think I remember seeing it as another choice on the same 'Send to' drop down menu as 'desktop', but I'm at work now & we only have XP, not Vista.

FairLadyRantALot Wed 03-Jun-09 10:31:51

thank you Rusty, will look at that...

FairLadyRantALot Wed 03-Jun-09 10:31:52

thank you Rusty, will look at that...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now