Talk

Advanced search

how do i transfer itunes from old laptop to new laptop please

(15 Posts)
harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 00:29:12

i've tried using an ethernet cable thingy
i can get my music from old laptop to show up on new laptop in windows media player, but cant get it to save into my music or itunes??

tia smile

harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 09:19:22

bumpety bump smile

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 09:21:17

I went to the itunes website and downloaded a new version on to new laptop free and then loaded up ipod from old and then downloaded it onto new laptop.

nannyogg Tue 10-Feb-09 09:23:51

I did the same. Except that if it's stuff you've purchased through the itunes store you can just download it from your itunes account again.

How are you getting music from the old laptop into media player on the new one?

harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 10:23:38

how do you load it back from the ipod?

i have the 2 laptops connected by ethernet cable and have used file share to get it transfered. but as soon as i disconnect laptops it is disappearing again

whitenoise Tue 10-Feb-09 10:27:31

do you mean the music from your itunes library?

I ended up doing it the long way - putting all the tunes on a memory stick/dongle and putting the tunes in my music. then highlight and drag to itunes to have them stored in your library (we don't have all our music in itunes)

whitenoise Tue 10-Feb-09 10:27:55

ipod data transfer is only 1 way so you can get music TO an ipod but not FROM

harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 10:35:58

well yeah, its all in 'my music' iykwim

im going to start transfering via memory stick shortly, but i thought just connecting the laptops would be quicker
i only have a 2gig memory stick, its going to take the whole afternoon to do it this way

whinegums Tue 10-Feb-09 10:46:45

You can transfer from an iPod too - I did it when I got a replacement Macbook. I can't remember how I did it now, but I googled and found the instructions - so much easier/quicker than using an ethernet cable or memory stick.

harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 10:51:19

oh i'll try google and see what it comes up with

thanks all

MrsSeanBeanIsEmployable Tue 10-Feb-09 10:54:03

My (technically inept) DH has somehow deleted all his music from his iphone and itunes library after a re-install (not sure what he did or was trying to do TBH).

He does have the stuff he's purchased in his purchase history, does anyone know how to get items from purchase history back into the itunes library? (Sorry for hijack but I thought the experts might already be 'here'.)

MrsBoo Tue 10-Feb-09 11:05:00

You can purchase for around $10 a programme which will allow you to copy everything from your ipod into a new computer. I have done this twice, it is very easy. There are various programmes to choose from, i have used CopyPod and CopyTrans - both successfully.

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 11:08:03

this is how I did it

harleyd Tue 10-Feb-09 11:24:05

how many discs did you need for that fivegomadindorset?

FiveGoMadInDorset Tue 10-Feb-09 13:28:50

If you scroll down it tells you how to move it using the ipod which is the way I did it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now