that's it really

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:37:55

bump

thornyrose Tue 13-Jan-09 18:40:54

AFAIK yes. Its help track/stop trolls I think

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 18:41:09

Probably. Why do you need to know?

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:41:56

doesn't it mean our anonymity is worthless?

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:42:40

sorry i started two threads cos it was a bit slow getting going

thanks..so do you think it means that?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 18:43:43

Not really. The other posters can't see it. Only those at MNHQ. And even then only if they look for it i.e. if you are being all trolly and suspicious.

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:44:45

Do you know what an IP address tells people (I don't)

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 13-Jan-09 18:45:51

stuffillama, have replied to you on other thread smile

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:47:28

thanks sorry am up late and would have forgotten about it in the morning so I chivvied blush

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 18:51:12

AFAIK it tells them the basic area that you aare in and who your ISP is. some people have a fixed ip, normally businesses that have websites etc, most have a changable one. Mine renews nearly everytime I lose ineternet connection because I find its the quickest, easiest way to re connect.

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:53:39

oh.. not much then
that's very informative how on earth do you know that
brainbox

PortAndLemon Tue 13-Jan-09 18:54:30

I have a dynamic IP address. They can tell who my ISP is. Probably if there were some awkward legal thing involving warrents and stuff my ISP could then look up who I was. For practical purposes I'm anonymous, but no anonymity is total.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Tue 13-Jan-09 18:54:56

I used work on the tech support helpline for Bulldog grin

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:55:01

but it must say more than that because you can be blocked on your IP address can't you?

onager Tue 13-Jan-09 18:56:32

Your IP address tells MN (if they bother to check) which ISP you belong to. It can allow them to see that the same IP that posted in chat also posted in AIBU so they can be 99% sure it's the same poster.

Now some peoples IPs (dynamic) change everytime they turn on their PC.
If you use a router it probably changes once a month or when you turn the router off and on again.

Some people have unchanging (static) IP numbers, but you generally have to ask for one especially so if you don't know then you probably don't have one.

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 18:59:42

Thanks Onager that's great. I thought it was like an ID code for your own computer.

I'm not being trolly, I'm not ever trolly, that's not why I'm asking -- not trying to get round troll rules I would like to reassure people.

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 19:01:21

That does actually that does mean hackers could find out the ISP address then hack the ISP and find out doesn't it.

But in the real world..........not grin

stuffitllama Tue 13-Jan-09 19:08:48

thanks for all the information esp in lay terms
appreciate it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now