Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

(Sorry MNHQ) Adblock, what do I use as a filter?

(7 Posts)
BumpermightsuetheSindie Tue 30-Dec-08 20:22:01

I've just added the firefox ad block but I'm not sure how to create filters, what would I do if I, hypothetically, wanted to block the ads on, um, I don't know, say mumsnet? (Sorry MNHQ but I have to ask)

Cheers

BumpermightsuetheSindie Tue 30-Dec-08 21:02:46

Bump

glitteryb6 Tue 30-Dec-08 21:06:37

watching with interest......mumsnet pages keep freezing on me due to a "problem with adobe flash player" which i assume is the ads?

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Dec-08 21:22:57

Hi there
OP, I'm a safari girl so don't know this one, sorry.
Glittery, please do let us know (start a thread in site stuff or drop us a mail on contactus@mumsnet.com) about any ads that are causing freezes and we'll see what we can do.
HTH
M Towers

fannyandwilly Tue 30-Dec-08 21:26:11

The adblock should automatically start filtering all by itself.
There is a drop down box which lets you disable the adblocker on any site you are on if you want to.

You can't filter by the main site, you can only filter by the address of the ads, so you could filter by doubleclick.net to get rid of their ads.

Rather than setting up your own rules I would suggest opening Adblock Plus Preferences, then in the filters menu, "add filter subscription" and pick a filter.

My filter subscription is adblockrules.com and it seems pretty effective.

There does seem to be an option to disable adblock on specific sites, such as www.mumsnet.com,

glitteryb6 Wed 31-Dec-08 20:07:07

ok in my case i think ive narrowed it down to the Travian(?) ad at the top of the screen, sometimes it doesnt appear at all just a blank space then sometimes it freezes when ive been reading a thread then try to go back to the list of threads?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now