Talk

Advanced search

Flash Player making my PC freeze

(19 Posts)
nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 10:24:50

Bloody thing.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
I've got a 32 bit op system.

Anything i could try?

I could live without the damn thing as I only use mn, but ds would not survive without Pingu on YouTube!

southeastastra Tue 23-Dec-08 10:46:53

mine does this too, seems ok on firefox

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 11:37:09

Sorry, I am a dumbo. Is firefox anti virus suff or a player systen thingy. [dinosaur emoticon]

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 11:40:55

Right I have had a 'google' but am such a techno virgin I don't really understand.
Can you explain in language an idiot would understand. smile

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Dec-08 11:49:43

...it is an 'internet browser', this means the programme that accesses the internet.

If you have a Windows computer, then the internet browser that comes with the computer is called 'Internet Explorer'. This is a notoriously rubbish browser, prone to crashing and not very secure (hackers target it, because they know that the least tech savvy people are those least likely to have changed it)

...it is a good idea to change it. Firefox is the most common alternative, but there are others.

Safari is one

this is Firefox

...these are easy and perfectly safe, and much less likely to crash your son's Pingu watching!

southeastastra Tue 23-Dec-08 11:50:32

it's another browser like explorer.

here you go

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 11:52:38

Thanks to you both.

Too right the least techy savvy people use explorer - I didn't know there were alternatives! blush

SHould I download one and then delete explorer, or can I just leave it on?

southeastastra Tue 23-Dec-08 11:56:59

i still have explorer, its nice to have an alternative though (especially with this flash issue)

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Dec-08 11:57:47

...download one, or both if you like so you can try them out and see which suits you better.

...when you start your new browser up it will ask if you want it to be your 'default browser', this means the one that opens when you click on any links.

Click 'yes', it is easy to change it later if you want to.

(will post precise instructions if you want them)

...just leave explorer alone, it will do no harm just sitting there!

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 12:08:21

grin
I feel all clever now.
I can't tell you how much I have learned about pootas from mn - I actually gave someone else advice the other day. shock

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Dec-08 12:20:19

...hope it is working ok!

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 20:24:52

I've done it. <preens>
Thanks, techno savvy people!

Lucycat Tue 23-Dec-08 20:27:57

Conversely when I try to use Firefox for Youtube I get a message telling that I dont have the latest FlashPlayer and or Java installed.

So I stick to IE for most things.

aren't puters great! hmm

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 20:29:03

Aren't they just, Lucycat.

Haven't tried youtube yet <scuttles off to try>

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 20:34:55

I had to reinstall it and select a version for firefox, if that makes any sense?

Seems to be working. Ds would melt without Pingu.

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Dec-08 20:43:47

It does make sense, yes!

...as far as I recall, Firefox is normally fairly good at telling you when you are missing a plug-in, and suggesting somewhere to get it.

retiredgoth2 Tue 23-Dec-08 20:43:50

It does make sense, yes!

...as far as I recall, Firefox is normally fairly good at telling you when you are missing a plug-in, and suggesting somewhere to get it.

nickytinseltimes Tue 23-Dec-08 20:44:48

It is quite pathetic how chuffed I am!
Dh thinks I am a genius. <snurk>
grin

southeastastra Tue 23-Dec-08 20:46:11

yes it's easy to update.

mn is fab for it's geeky advice. i can't thank rustybear enough for getting our scanner to work grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now