Talk

Advanced search

New ipod, attach it to laptop and nothing happens!

(22 Posts)
Kaybeeand2boys Wed 29-Oct-08 13:50:30

All it does is say it's charging, but it doesn't show as having attached new hardware, and the ipod doesn't show in Itunes which usually happens automatically with our other ipods. Help!

twentynine Wed 29-Oct-08 20:00:28

Windows or Mac?

If Windows - reboot iPod plugged in. This should trigger it to recognise it.

If Mac - you may have to reinstall iTunes if going FILE - add to library and manually selecting the drive for the ipod doesn't work.

Kaybeeand2boys Wed 29-Oct-08 20:13:17

I have windows, will give that a try thanks

twentynine Wed 29-Oct-08 20:15:36

Oh and you have turned the ipod on haven't you?

cheekysealion Wed 29-Oct-08 20:17:25

cant help im afraid.

but dd is after a ipod for christmas... how do i get itunes on the computer? as i want it on so she doesnt have to do anything

RustyBear Wed 29-Oct-08 20:26:02

Itunes for Windows

Mac link further down

Kaybeeand2boys Wed 29-Oct-08 21:19:11

Hi tried restarting with ipod plugged in but nothing and yes grin its definately on!
Its fully charged and I can view the menus etc on it, but when plugged it is not recognised at all, doesnt say 'do not disconnect'
When i plug our nano in it's fine so don't see how it can be the laptop or cable.
Have tried resetting it but that hasnt worked. There is nothign on it at all as it is brand new.

twentynine Wed 29-Oct-08 21:44:01

Try unplugging the ipod end of it and then plugging it back in.

If that doesn't help go here

Kaybeeand2boys Wed 29-Oct-08 22:26:22

i have done all that, been starting at that site all afternoon!
Am considering going into an apple store tomorrow to see if they can help........

SlasherGoober Wed 29-Oct-08 22:31:41

Had the same problem last christmas. Are you on Vista too?
Had to download some drivers from Windows. It took me 2 weeks to work it out!

Kaybeeand2boys Thu 30-Oct-08 16:44:00

I am on XP and my old ipod and my dh's nano work just fine!
Went into the apple store and they tried it on theirs at first it didn't work then she restored it and it worked. So i bought it home and of course it didn't work. Have done everything she did over and over and still NOTHING angry

Kaybeeand2boys Thu 30-Oct-08 21:25:58

anybody else please help ??????

Nighbynight Thu 30-Oct-08 22:21:53

if you dont get the new hardware message, then I would guess its a driver problem.

the woman in the shop probably had the correct drivers already installed on her machine.

I'd expect the drivers to be automatically loaded from the ipod when you plug it in, but maybe they aren't for some reason?

could you download separately from the apple website, teh drivers for your ipod, install them yourself, and then try pluggin the ipod in?

Nighbynight Thu 30-Oct-08 22:23:52

if your computer is a laptop, why not take it to teh apple shop next time, and get their techie person to fix it there and then

louii Thu 30-Oct-08 22:28:39

i thought you could only use a certain amount of I-pods per computer/i-tunes.

SlasherGoober Thu 30-Oct-08 22:38:33

Ipod is Apple, Apple is Mac, Mac hates Windows, Windows hates Mac. This is why it is tricky. Drivers must be Windows. You may need to speak to somebody there though, you will need advice.

Nighbynight Thu 30-Oct-08 22:43:08

It should have xp drivers loaded on it though, and it should be plug and prlay surely

SlasherGoober Thu 30-Oct-08 22:54:55

It Should yes. But No. My laptop was new last year, it didn't have any of the appropriate software for Ipod. Tis the drivers. Trust Goober.

Nighbynight Thu 30-Oct-08 22:59:36

no, I mean they should be on the ipod.

Kaybeeand2boys Fri 31-Oct-08 08:59:52

and why would it work with the other ipods and not this one?
i have never heard of there being a limit on nbr of ipods to a computer..........!

Kaybeeand2boys Fri 31-Oct-08 09:00:22

sad damn ipod

Nighbynight Fri 31-Oct-08 22:06:42

Kaybee, probably because the other ipods' drivers are already installed on your computer. They may have different drivers.

You need the drivers for your new ipod to be correctly installed on your computer.

You can download them yourself from the ipod website and install them (the advantage of this is that you get the latest release, with bug fixes). Or take your laptop to the apple shop and ask them to check which drivers are on it.

You can open the file explorer, and right click on the "work place" (the tab above your disk drives, can't remember what it's called in english).

Then choose the last menu option "properties" and the tab "hardware"

Click on button "Device Manager" and you will see all the installed hardware components on your computer.

If you see the name of your device with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark by it, there's something wrong with the driver.
If you see something like "unknown device" thats also an indicator that the driver is not functioning, or not present. Also if you don't see anythign at all like your device. Try plugging and unplugging hte device if it's not obvious, you should see its entries appear and disappear.

If your device is correctly listed, with no yellow triangle, then it could be a firmware problem on the device, fixable by a complaint, or by a firmware upgrade (easy). But my guess is a driver problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now