Advanced search

Whats the difference beteween a note book and a laptop?

(10 Posts)
DoubleBluff Fri 24-Oct-08 21:36:07

I know i amclueless about computers.
I want a laptop type thngy relayy just to browse the internet and email. Maybe store phots/ music.
Any suggestionS! Thanks

SqueakyPop Fri 24-Oct-08 21:36:41

they are the same thing, as I understand it.

A notebook is the American term for laptop.

MerlinsBeard Fri 24-Oct-08 21:38:41

i thought a notebook was just internet access and a word type program?

(disclaimer, i just guessed, i am, NOT a computer person!)

MerlinsBeard Fri 24-Oct-08 21:39:31

i googled "whats the difference between a notebook and a laptop" and came up with this

DoubleBluff Fri 24-Oct-08 21:41:44

Thanks for the link MoM thats really helpful and in simle terms - just what i nedd.

retiredgoth Fri 24-Oct-08 21:46:47

I'm waiting for my new one of these to be delivered, hopefully tomorrow...

Dreamy sigh..

(Geek?? Me???)

kama Fri 24-Oct-08 21:52:11

Message withdrawn

MrVibrating Sat 25-Oct-08 01:57:58

Well that link is somewhat eclectic and WAY out of date (P3 processor?) so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Basically, 'notebook' and 'laptop' are now used to refer to the same thing - a computer about the size of a pad of A4 paper. The thing you are thinking of that is smaller and mainly for internet and email access is a netbook.

Historical note: the first computers that were designed to be portable were the size of suitcases. They were called 'portables' or 'luggables'. This was the late 80s. When they were down to the size of a briefcase you could just about use them on your lap (for about 3 minutes until your legs either went numb or caught fire), so they were called laptops - we are in the mid 90s now. In the late 90s the holy grail was a computer the size of an American 'notebook' which if we had led the way in the UK we would have referred to as an 'A4 Pad', but fortunately that never caught on smile.

So laptop is really out of date, and refers to something bigger than the 'notebook'-sized PCs we have today. Of course anything smaller than about A4 sized is called an ultra-portable, so the names have just about come full circle!

DoubleBluff Sat 25-Oct-08 11:43:59

Thanks Mr V any recommendations then?

MrVibrating Sat 25-Oct-08 15:25:53

Recommendations for something to use for the internet and email?

The keyboard and screen on most ultra-portables (ooo I forgot, these are also called sub-notebooks) is just too small I find (although I am typing this on an Eee PC, but it is just a cute toy really).

I quite like the look of this, but I haven't tested one properly so I can't really recommend it. If you have a PC world handy, go in and give it a try,

Otherwise, there are quite a few 12-13" sub-notebooks around for £400-£500 which you could look at.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: