Talk

Advanced search

Can I find out a company's address from their web site?

(16 Posts)
TracyK Thu 23-Oct-08 15:03:25

I've looked in all the usual places - like Contact Us - but only a form to be filled out and sent.

I heard an advert for them on my local Scottish radio station - and would like to know if they are based in Scotland - so I can mailshot them. iykwim.

Twiglett Thu 23-Oct-08 15:04:04

try whois

geekgirl Thu 23-Oct-08 15:06:35

You can search the Companies House website for company information (I presume it covers Scotland?), which is probably more reliable than searching on www.whois.net/ for information on the registered owner of the domain name, as this could be the web design company they use.

Nagapie Thu 23-Oct-08 15:07:43

Companies House equivalent??

TracyK Thu 23-Oct-08 15:10:26

thanks girls - whether the company itself or web design company - it's a Scottish address - so presumably the company itself is also scottish based.

I'll do a bit more digging now that I now it's not a waste of time.

Waltzywotzy Thu 23-Oct-08 17:58:54

I don't understand why websites want to be hidden, being open about who you are increases credibility and builds up trust with your customers. I would think twice about using a site that didn't offer at the very least a postal address (not a PO Box) as a bare minimum.

TracyK Fri 24-Oct-08 09:36:01

It may be on there - maybe I can't see it for looking at it - its www.armcandyhire.com
They looked like a new business that maybe I could see if they needed any accounting type work done for them. (and they could pay me in handbags!!)

littlelapin Fri 24-Oct-08 09:38:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlelapin Fri 24-Oct-08 09:39:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TracyK Fri 24-Oct-08 09:49:53

ooh - thanks Littlelapin - I'll have a look on yell.com cos their website is registered to an Auchinloch address (wherever that is!) - it might be closer to me than Edinburger.

MrVibrating Fri 24-Oct-08 09:55:14

It appears to be connected to these people. From the look of their record at Companies House they could do with some accounting help wink. And a lesson in the e-commerce regulations.

TracyK Fri 24-Oct-08 10:16:11

That's what I thought MrV!

Waltzywotzy Fri 24-Oct-08 10:26:09

I have looked at the site.

But do people really give their card details for an online subscription site like this without knowing even where they are based.

The luxury membership is over £300.00 per year!!

You have to go through all the personal details and give card details and you can have a different delivery address to the card address. hmm hmm

TracyK - My personal thoughts is that I would stay well clear of them. Do you really need to mailshot your business to them?

TracyK Fri 24-Oct-08 10:32:09

Prob not WW - they're prob a bit too far awy from home for me - am trying to get clients closer to home.

Waltzywotzy Fri 24-Oct-08 10:36:38

I would read that link about web law and use it as a guide to finding online companies that use good business practice.
Good luck.

If they are not registered with companies house different rules apply, but alwasy steer clear of PO box addresses and you can check addresses on the post office website by using their post code finder or address finder if you only have a postcode.

quinne Fri 24-Oct-08 19:34:32

have you tried www.yell.co.uk?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now