Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What satnav do you have and would you recommend it?

(14 Posts)
ShinyPinkShoes Wed 22-Oct-08 20:44:13

I am looking for one with a wide screen, clear view and hopefully 2D&3D Imaging.

Want to find one I can update online preferably rather than having to pay a subscription.

TIA

We have the Tomtom T920 and love it. It is much better than my parent's Garmin. We got a really good deal. Strangely enough, it is the top of the range TomTom and was cheaper than the more basic ones.

I have downloaded the Queen to give me directions, "One has reached ones destination"

<<ponders parent's Garmin vs parents' Garmin and heads off to the Pedants' Corner>>

Blandmum Wed 22-Oct-08 20:48:42

tomtom

SqueakyPop Wed 22-Oct-08 20:49:01

I have a Tom Tom One (from 2 years ago) and it is fine.

ShinyPinkShoes Wed 22-Oct-08 20:58:03

Thanks all

Can you update it online?

tissy Wed 22-Oct-08 21:00:40

I HAD a TomTom, and would have recommended it until the screen inexplicably broke (while it was in its case). They quoted £30 MORE than the blardy thing cost to repair it angry. It's gone in the bin, and I won't be buying another one.

cmotdibbler Wed 22-Oct-08 21:05:04

Tom Tom 720 - wide screen and it's great. I like the stored categories such as hospitals, railway stations etc, as its very practical for me when out and about.

You can either subscribe or just buy a new map as you want.

ShinyPinkShoes Wed 22-Oct-08 21:15:47

Ah.
That's a little worrying about the screen.

I don't want to have to keep paying for updated maps really so need to give that some thought.

As alternatives I have been checking out Sony and Panasonic ones.

ShinyPinkShoes Thu 23-Oct-08 20:52:40

Bumpitty Bump for any more comments- am buying tomorrow

GrimmaTheNome Thu 23-Oct-08 20:56:57

we have a tomtom and a garmin - they each have pros and cons. The garmin has traffic alert system which can be useful on motorways but I'd say the mapping was not as good. Having said that, the tomtom does seem not to be able to distinguish a farm track from a real road at times.

Both have been dropped a few times with no ill effects - physically tough enough.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 23-Oct-08 20:58:15

A Garmin nuvi 255w and no I wouldn't recommend it. The map is very out of date (e.g. upgrades on the A1 aren't included, they only update the maps annually) and it just randomly zooms in and out as well as countless other minor annoyances.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 23-Oct-08 20:58:59

And on a recent visit to the Champagne region it tried to send us through a vineyard to get to our hotel.

laundrylover Thu 23-Oct-08 21:03:25

I have a Garmin which is OK but the one on DP's Blackberry (o2) is much better with traffic alerts etc. The screen is obviously not as large though....

ShinyPinkShoes Thu 23-Oct-08 21:37:53

I have just found one with landmarks on it that looks good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now