Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone yet invented a piece of software which will...

(13 Posts)
flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 19:46:31

scan in a document and convert it to an editable Word document?

I only ask because I have spent a large chunk of today re-typing in a lengthy document that for various reasons I only have in hard copy. I'm developing RSI as we speak and it's irritating me, so I am idly wondering whether there is or might soon be an alternative.

BoysAreLikeZombies Fri 17-Oct-08 19:48:03

Read that as 'edible' word document

grin

No idea about your q I'm afraid, sorry.

So, bumping for for you.

giddykipper Fri 17-Oct-08 19:48:17

Yes there is, I've used it at work before. Hang on, I'll ask DP...

giddykipper Fri 17-Oct-08 19:49:31

It's called OCR software (optical character recognition), apparently there are lots of brands.

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 19:50:39

OMG. Giddy are you serious?

<<puts head in hands>>

<<rests worn out wrists>>

ANTagony Fri 17-Oct-08 19:50:50

Both hand and text recognition software do exist. The post office use hand written software recognition to sort mail by post code.

I did some letter recognition software development as a bit of my engineering degree about 15 years ago now so I should imagine theres commercial packages available - thats loads of time in a technology sense.

giddykipper Fri 17-Oct-08 19:51:19

Sorry sad

Reallytired Fri 17-Oct-08 19:51:21

I just googled and found this.

free text recongition software

I have never used it, but as its freeware you haven't got anything to lose

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 19:52:58

shockshockshock

I was just about to say never mind giddy, I wouldn't need it that often and it wouldn't be worth the money, then RT came along with a free one!

<<moans gently>>

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 19:53:38

Why didn't I ask this question this morning. It couldn't have hurt. Unlike my wrists.

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 20:01:49

Thank you everyone, sorry how rude of me blush

PortAndDemon Fri 17-Oct-08 20:10:32

It's variable how much time it actually saves. Your printer software may have come with one, too.

Reminds me of a friend's DP who spent hours going through a Word document finding every occurrence of [word A] and changing it to [word B] before my friend pointed out the existence of the useful Find and Replace option...

flowerybeanbag Fri 17-Oct-08 20:26:29

I'm not even going to look at my printer software, that really would be depressing!

Rofl at find and replace. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now