Talk

Advanced search

Outlook driving me mad. It keeps asking me to enter network password

(19 Posts)

and when I do this, and check the box "save this password in your password list" it just ignores me and asks for the password again.

I have been trying for days to get send/receive working, it worked before we moved to Switzerland. Could it be something to do with the new internet provider?

Can anyone help before I throw the pc into Lake Geneva?

Littlefish Mon 13-Oct-08 09:16:05

I'm watching this with interest as my PC is doing something similar.

When I press send/receive, it waits for ages trying to authorise and then brings up the password box. However, my password is already there (ghosted), so I just press ok, but it keeps coming back.

Tis blardy annoying isn't it!

It's been doing it ever since I had a new computer and went over to a wireless network a couple of weeks ago.

It sometimes starts working again if I close everything down, shut the computer down and re-start it.

C'mon Geekyones, we need heeeelp!

Mine does the same, Littlefish, the password is there, but it just keeps popping up.

Funnily enough, my pc has been taking ages to start up and has been really slow and since we moved here it has become much faster. I took off Norten (which was the programme offered by my German internet provider) and put on AVG and it must have found some nasty virus or something because it is so fast. It used to take up to an hour to come on and now it only takes 5 mins.

symptomchecker Mon 13-Oct-08 09:21:48

Mine was doing this a couple of times last week too.Just kept pressing ok.But is bloody annoying isn't it?!

lol at lots of us with the same problem but no Geeky experts to help us solve it.

ADragonIs4LifeNotJustHalloween Mon 13-Oct-08 09:28:32

Mine does this occasionally and shutting Outlook down and restarting it seems to clear it. If I speak to Techy Friend later will see if she knows why.

Thanks Dragonisforlife. Shutting down Outlook does not help, it still does it.

NewspiritsFromOldghosts Mon 13-Oct-08 20:16:56

mine is doing this as well. there is a theme emerging...

onager Mon 13-Oct-08 20:21:14

Do you all have the same ISP or email provider?

onager Mon 13-Oct-08 20:26:00

I don't use Outlook, I use outlook express, but the principles are the same.

The asking for the password bit can sometimes mean the email server is down and waiting a bit will solve the problem.

If you have changed ISPs then you may have to change some settings. Some ISPs insist you use their outgoing email server and you have to put that into the email settings.

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Oct-08 20:28:30

It's flipping annoying and I have no idea why it does it but my corporate (and therefore not set up by me) PC does the same thing. The only answer I have found is like LL to restart the computer (note, MrsT, not restart Outlook, that has no effect)

Littlefish Mon 13-Oct-08 23:02:33

No onager, I haven't changed ISPs.

I'm with Orange - who are the rest of you with? This problem has only started happening in the last 2-3 weeks. What about the rest of you?

onager Mon 13-Oct-08 23:37:00

I have an orange email myself and for about 10 days it wouldn't work. It started working again a couple of days ago.
I have just checked it and it's gone down again. There's nothing you can do except wait or get another email address. Orange have always been a bit unreliable.

Is anyone having this problem who is not with orange?

onager Mon 13-Oct-08 23:52:09

btw you should be able to log on to the orange site and check your emails that way

I had it for a while with my last email provider in Germany (T-online) which I am still accessing from here. I am not sure if I am going to move to a Swiss email provider, probably to Orange as I am getting a iPhone <<excited>> and would like to synchronise everything.

I cannot get Outlook to work at all since I moved.

UnquietDad Tue 14-Oct-08 10:03:35

I have had this before. It's to do with your Registry.

There is a way of dealing with it - seems quite complicated but it isn't if you follow every step.

Explained here in PC Hell

onager Tue 14-Oct-08 10:07:46

MmeTussaudsChmberOfChocHobnobs, what is the name of your new ISP?

Most ISPs will require you to use their outgoing email server and will block email access to any others.
You can still use your old email accounts, but you may have to change some settings for them to work with a new ISP

onager Tue 14-Oct-08 10:11:36

Also in the outlook settings there should be a bit that if ticked says something like "always connect to this account using...." and a dropdown box for which ISP.

If you can find that then you can untick it or choose your current ISP. Otherwise it will disconnect from the net and try to log on to the old ISP.

I have tried all the options suggested, it is still not working. Bloody techy stuff. You could spend days months years trying to get everything to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now