Talk

Advanced search

Do you use video messaging? (I think that's what I mean anyway - where you each have a webcam and see each other on screen and talk like on the phone?)

(15 Posts)
BroccoliSpears Fri 10-Oct-08 20:02:55

Is that video messaging?

Dp is going to be away for a month or so and we want to set up webcams so he can chat to the children every day.

What service or application do you recommend?

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 10-Oct-08 20:05:26

thequietone Fri 10-Oct-08 20:06:15

I've jsut linked up to Skype as we're now in Germany and all our family is in the UK. It's great! Totally free - well, apart from the Internet bill, but you can talk for as long as you want. I've hooked up to see all my family and DH's family have now bought cameras too. So the only expense is the camera (make sure it has a microphone, or your PC has).

Just Google Skype and the download is free. I still haven't found a catch!!

IotasCat Fri 10-Oct-08 20:06:32

I was just going to say that, Wllies

BroccoliSpears Fri 10-Oct-08 20:12:25

The only trouble with skype is that it's illegal in the country dp is going to. Apparently people do still use it anyway, but if we found something legal I guess that would be even better.

HRHSaintMamazon Fri 10-Oct-08 20:13:53

you can just use MSn as normal.
open a messenger page and click teh icon to allow the use of webcam.

BroccoliSpears Fri 10-Oct-08 20:14:40

All I need for msn is a hotmail account, no?

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 10-Oct-08 20:16:32

Might be worth finding a travel advice site for the country he is going to, then, and find out what is legal? Or how much of a 'crime' it would be to use it? You can have videocalls on msn - is that legal there?

Also be aware that your connection speed can affect things with skype. If a poor/slow connection you may sometimes have to have only voice or only camera, otherwise it gets frustrating.

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 10-Oct-08 20:17:23

x-post with mamzon

yes, hotmail account to use msn mseesnger

WelliesAndPyjamas Fri 10-Oct-08 20:18:12

what an impressive typo hmmblush

BroccoliSpears Fri 10-Oct-08 21:15:16

Righty. Have dpwnloaded a variety of messenging systems. Hopefully something will do us. Thank you for the advice .

SmudgeyDoodle Fri 10-Oct-08 21:36:22

Is is somewhere like Saudi that DP is going to? DH says that msn will be blocked as well as skype (because government cna't control it) so more a problem that it won't work rather than that it's illegal. Apparantly one way round it is to go through a VPN server which costs around £20 for a year. (This is me typing what he's saying so come back if you need more info)

BroccoliSpears Sat 11-Oct-08 19:19:18

Not as strict as Saudi. He'll be in Dubai. I don't think it's blocked because I know some people use it, but I also know you're not supposed to. Will have to wait until he gets there and see.

SmudgeyDoodle Sat 11-Oct-08 19:53:56

I think we know someone who uses it there but he does it through a server. Good luck!

TinkerBellesMum Sat 11-Oct-08 20:14:41

MSN Messenger. You don't need a hotmail account to use it, you can use any email.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now