Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

why can i not download MSN on XP Pro?

(10 Posts)
mumofmonstersOBE Fri 10-Oct-08 19:02:36

I have been given a laptop while mine has gone poof. It already has MSN messenger on (7.5)_ but it won't let me upgrade it, it says that windows live is not compatible with xp pro

is there a way round it? or shall i just not have msn for a bit?

mumofmonstersOBE Fri 10-Oct-08 19:37:39

how do i find out if the laptop has xp pro or xp pro x64 (without restarting so i can read the start up screenwink)

its on permanent loan if mine decides to give up completely as its her spare spare laptopshock

onager Fri 10-Oct-08 19:48:58

If you right click on My Computer and click properties I think it should say there if pro64

onager Fri 10-Oct-08 19:54:06

Okay I found an MS thing that confirms that. If it's 32 it doesn't say, but if 64 it will.

onager Fri 10-Oct-08 20:18:52

This page has a link on it to download a version that should install on XP64 if that's what you have.

Link 1

I'm told this works too, but I'm not in a position to try either of them

link 2

random Fri 10-Oct-08 20:21:11

It should give you an option to download windows live installer ..thats what I did Can't remember how tho..not much help sorry

mumofmonstersOBE Fri 10-Oct-08 21:16:47

sorry, i had to sort DS2 (night terror )

WIll go look at the links now onager. its XP pro 32 (it doesn't say 64 anywhere)

I can get the windows live installer thing but then it says it won't install...??

WIll go look at the links now

mumofmonstersOBE Fri 10-Oct-08 21:35:18

they don't work onager. The first one doesn't complete the download properly and the second one won't even start

onager Fri 10-Oct-08 21:46:51

First one works for me so I suppose just a glitch of some kind, but forget those because if it's pro32 then you shouldn't need these workarounds anyway.

There must be something else going on and right now I can't think what it could be, but will think about it.

One quick thought - are you an adminstrator on this computer?
I always make myself an adminstrator so it never applies to me, but I'm vaguely aware that some things require an administrator. I don't know if this is one of them, does anyone know?

mumofmonstersOBE Fri 10-Oct-08 22:19:52

i can do some computer things but not others. making myself admin (or even finding out who is!) is in the no list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now