Talk

Advanced search

apparently I have two computers with the same IP address on my network, what does this mean?

(11 Posts)
moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:21:21

I've got the laptop and pc on, but they've been on together before and I've never had this message. Do I need to do anything? I really haven't a clue, can anyone advise me please.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 08-Oct-08 18:24:17

Is it an IP address conflict message you're getting?

Which ISP do you use? (AOL, BT, Tiscali etc)

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:27:39

Yes that's it. I'm with virgin.

wannaBe Wed 08-Oct-08 18:30:21

we have two computers on our network. We are also with virgin (ntl) and the IP address is based on the modem not the computers iyswim.

So if you have two computers on the same network they will both have the same IP address (which is why it's so essential for your network to be secure as someone could download illegal material through your network for instance and it would show up as your IP address and would be traceable to you).

TequilaMockinBird Wed 08-Oct-08 18:34:32

What wannaBe said grin

As long as it's not bothering you and both computers can get online etc. then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IIRC, Virgin use dynamic IP addresses so everytime you connect to the internet, you're IP address will change. It could just be coincidence that both computers have been assigned the same address!

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:39:47

Thanks wannabe, it worried me because I've never had the message before.
How do I secure the network, bearing in mind I don't know what I'm doing, absolutely hopeless with anything technical.

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 18:40:47

Thanks TMB ( x-posted )

TequilaMockinBird Wed 08-Oct-08 19:11:52

Assuming it's wireless, try here

singleWhiteMale Wed 08-Oct-08 19:20:01

There should never be two computers with the same IP address on your network. You probably want to make sure that they are each set to obtain an IP address automatically, like this:
http://uits.iu.edu/page/aiyy

Checking that your WiFi is secure is a good idea too.

moshie Wed 08-Oct-08 19:44:38

Thanks everyone.

MrVibrating Wed 08-Oct-08 23:57:47

Some of the answers here are wrong. You should not have two computers on your local network (LAN) with the same IP address.

Your LAN address will probably be something like 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2, and each computer can either have this fixed in their network software configuration (which it sounds like you have - both computers have the same fixed address) or they can get their address from a service in your router called DHCP - you need to set your computers to use DHCP.

All computers on your LAN will appear to the outside world to have the same IP address though, which may change from time to time but is unique to your LAN in the whole world.

If you check your computers and they all have different addresses and you are still getting this message, it is likely that someone is gatecrashing your network and evesdropping on your communications.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now