Talk

Advanced search

I've downloaded a font from a free font site; how do I now incorporate it into my Microsoft Word program so i can use it, type with it?

(6 Posts)
peasoup Mon 06-Oct-08 20:34:21

I googled free fonts to find one I liked to use for a house sign I'm making. I found Silverwood Swash which is great and downloaded it. So now I have the file Silverwood Swash (true Type), but how the hell do I incorporate it into a word package so I can actually use it to print off my sign? I am a bit of a computer dunce , so layman's terms please. Thank you.

AMumInScotland Mon 06-Oct-08 20:42:37

It has to go in the folder beside all your other fonts. I'm not sure quite where that will be, but if you can see the filetype of the new one (maybe .ttf?) then you can search for other files of that type to find the folder. Copy or move it in there, then it should appear on your list of fonts in Word.

onager Mon 06-Oct-08 20:44:23

Go to control Panel and double click 'Fonts'. Then on the file menu select 'install fonts' and it will let you browse to where they are on your hard drive.

Tick the box if (it isn't already)to 'copy fonts to font folder'

Next time you open a Word package the new font will be in the drop down list

onager Mon 06-Oct-08 20:45:50

AMIS is probably right about just copying it to the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts folder, but I couldn't quite remember if that was ok.

peasoup Mon 06-Oct-08 21:21:38

Brilliant, thank you so much.

AMumInScotland Mon 06-Oct-08 21:21:54

But onager's is the proper way to do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now